When unvaxxed dad screams at NY pizzeria for not letting him in, customers react in the best way

…and mushrooms.

A nearby pizza joint, Pie Sci, makes a godly BLT pizza. A white sauce, mozzarella (vegan optional), lotsa tasty bacon (veggie bacon optional), fresh salad greens, sliced cherry tomatoes scattered about, topped with a liberal drizzle of their incredibly yummy home made herb mayo (vegan optional). C’est magnifique!

I always order it square, deep dish. This is Detroit, after all.

ETA:
I was sat out on a bar’s patio one night, when I overheard a shithead at the next table bitching about pizza in Detroit. The idiots with him were also know-nothings. Musta all been imports, because we have all kindsa places w/great pizza. Had they not been so fucking snotty, I would have told them they were three minutes’ drive from a carry out/delivery place w/great pizza (Papa’s Pizza), five minutes from Pie Sci, and ten minutes from the best in town (Niki’s in Greektown). They badmouthed my city instead, so I let them suffer with their ignorance. Long may it continue.

14 Likes

I’m told pizza in Ireland often features corn and potatoes.

My BF loves olives/black olives on almost everything.

Not his breakfast cereal. He loved it when I threw some black olives in an omelette.

I love 'em. Pineapple with ham is great, too.
I often marinate pork chops in pineapple chunks or rings, along with the juice. I use all the pieces of fruit and some of the juice when I cook the chops, and carefully add corn starch and stir like mad to make a sauce when they’re about done. Delightful.

8 Likes

How else are you supposed to make a “Greek” omelette? :smirk:

10 Likes

Zackly! I added herby goat cheese too!

8 Likes

If only there was a way to include the vaccine in pizza…

10 Likes

Vaccine in pizza? Probably not.
Vaccine in a mosquito bite? Theoretically possible.

5 Likes

But people don’t go to restaurants for mosquito bites…

6 Likes

Clearly nobody who talks shit about “Chicago style” pizza* knows the joy of tavern style

*a Frankenpizza made from the other three items on your list, served by a pizza chain that even the drunks in Chicago would steer clear of

5 Likes

We’ve had a boom in (what we’re told is) Detroit-style pizza in DC over the last two years, and it is now my favorite style. Rectangular pan, deep dish, with a mix of brick cheese and mozzarella applied directly on top of the crust and then a stripe of spicy, tangy, savory red sauce. We have one place in town that does smaller-sized ones so every piece is a corner piece.

7 Likes

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm The more crust, the merrier!

7 Likes

Detroit style kinda has no edge crust, the cheese is spread all over the whole pan so you get awesome burnt cheese as the “crust”. Sauce on top of the cheese is the other required element. Only local chain I know of that uses brick cheese is Buddy’s, who claim to be the creator of Detroit style.

12 Likes

I always classified it as thin-crust or deep-dish (pan and stuffed counting), but that’s another good way to look at it.

I’ve never had a real-life Detroit pizza, but I’ve had some frozen Detroit-style ones that were superb. That’s the great thing about pizza - there are so many ways to make it.

8 Likes

Buddy’s is heaven but, I grew up in Detroit and currently live just outside of Detroit. Born in '64.

I’ve never heard Detroit style pizza until Pizza Hut decided to copy Buddy’s. Buddy’s has always been Buddy’s Pizza. When I crawl out from under the bed Buddy’s wil be the first place I get a pizza from.

And Miller’s Bar in Dearborn has always been the best burger period.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Niki’s uses brick cheese.

Buddy’s is great. They make everything from scratch, so it takes forever, but it’s well worth the wait.

The actual crust goes alla way to the edges of the rectangular pan, they really jam it in there, but yeah, the crispy cheesy bits on the edges look like lace FFS and taste divine.

8 Likes

I know we’ve gotten way off topic, but I also kinda love how the general response here was, “this guy is an asshole and his actions deserve to have a light shown on them,” and then “let’s talk about pizza though!” :heart:

12 Likes

The focus has to shift off the daily dose of assholery or we’d all go mad.

11 Likes

In other locations, that is often referred to as “sicilian style”

2 Likes

D’Amato’s Bakery on West Grand makes the Sicilian kind, as do some other places around Chicago:

11 Likes

I would be tempted to give him some food…
by pelting him with bread sticks. :wink:

3 Likes