Where it all went wrong for the Fedora

“And that’s a trilby not a fedora.”

A fedora is really a soft, fur-felt hat. So … no matter what the shape is, is technically a fedora. Even a cowboy hat is a version of a fedora.

While the word “fedora” is also frequently applied to the trilby and the homburg, which are two kinds of hat similar to the hat widely thought of as a fedora, this is not technically incorrect. As it turns out, many are walking around in fedoras unwittingly.

You can’t escape the fedora.

6 Likes

Dafuq was that all about?

8 Likes

It’s just a stupid hat.
The self-appointed Moral Majority can get quite noisy at days like these.

5 Likes

Hatters gonna hat…

I just assumed it was bad semiotics.

22 Likes

Rob and I discuss this all the time. At 43 and bald, I have many fedoras. I am a boy scout, not a pick-up artist.

I have also been wearing 8 panel newsboy and irish wool driving caps for years. If you wear them, they wear in and don’t look all “I just came out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog” hipstery.

9 Likes

No, Fedora is not a generic term
Trilby which has a narrow brim, and Fedora which is a wide brim. Both have a dented crown. But they are not the same.

How about this? It’s “bound to win over some broad”.

8 Likes

I don’t like to give away all of my secrets, but here’s a hint.

Might actually be closer to this one:

5 Likes

A Trilby isn’t even a snap brim Fedora.

2 Likes

And now I am running down the wikipedia rabbit hole of hat styles. Thanks BoingBoing.

9 Likes

Is it time to dig out that photo of @penguinchris doing his Indiana Jones impression again?

6 Likes
1 Like

After my fedora’s brim finally gave up the ghost I bought a leather hat from BC Hats, ripped off the braided band and replaced it with a ribbon and bow I made from a piece of suede.

2 Likes

On the one hand, I think the article linked in the OP is stupid. If you think you see a pattern where a certain style of hat is always being worn by douchebags, please consider that you may be a victim of confirmation bias.

On the other hand, if you’re already wearing a fedora then you’re probably pretty immune to “bullying” or “shaming.”

4 Likes

Yeah, it is just a hat, but like tri-corner and stovepipe hats, they usually look like costume pieces.

1 Like

Which is a sure way to extract some enhanced-volume wails from the wannabe shamers.
It’s quite comical.

1 Like

Yes, it is comical how people think stealing the language that is used against them and using it inappropriate times somehow is not completely and obvious driving trollies.

2 Likes

I guess, in a “OMG this pentagram tattoo makes me look so BADASS that’ll show my religious parents” kinda way.

2 Likes

I’ll add another vote for Tilley hats. They’re expensive, but well-made and sturdy. And they come with chinstraps for windy days, and have a pocket built into the crown.

3 Likes

This I find indicative of poor build quality, more than anything else. Most hats are costume pieces, because they are cheap to knock off copies.

2 Likes