White House canceled plans to mail face masks to every American home because Trump hates Amazon's Jeff Bezos and was feuding with USPS

Perhaps Hanes were afraid that Trump would denounce them on Twitter if they declined to take up this exciting business opportunity.

#DictatorGoals unlocked!

1 Like

That’s what she said…

It’s gonna be crowded in his head. For the first time ever…

2 Likes

I wish you a safe and speedy recovery. :face_with_thermometer:

10 Likes

Republican America: When the going gets tough, the good people look unquestioningly to an infantile narcissist for leadership. Avoidable deaths and lasting economic harm follow but for conservatives, it’s all good.
That is not a functional state, just how a banana republic rolls.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Here’s hoping the same emotional fragility is preventing him from resigning on the 19th of January for Pence to immediately issue him a blanket pardon because he’s incapable of trusting somebody that much.

4 Likes

I can’t read the full article because of the WaPo paywall, but from the extracts here it sounds as if it wasn’t Trump himself who canceled the plan, but “aides”.

I mention this not to excuse Trump, but to point out that this is one of the under-discussed features of gimcrack autocracies like Trump’s: positions get filled with yes-men and incompetents, who start making decisions based on what they think the Big Man will like best. So Trump doesn’t even need to fuck things up personally: he’s created an entire structure of people falling over themselves to try and guess what his wishes will probably be and make heinous or ludicrous decisions based on whatever they hope will earn them brownie points with the boss.

It’s kind of a force multiplier for idiocy. Even Trump can’t find enough hours in the day to watch all the Fox News he wants and fuck up the nation, but he’s created a whole caste of spiteful imbeciles to act as imperfect extensions of his own will. And the collective is even more devastating than an individual could ever be.

As the British might put it, “the whole is greater than the sum of its prats [sic]”.

22 Likes

I was hoping SNL would have the ghost of Nixon (Akroyd) come talk some sense in to Trump.

3 Likes

I actually found plain black masks I bought from Hanes comfortable, they pulled on my ears less than various KN95 masks I’ve worn for work. Possibly different models in existence, or different faces and ear positions. Bought mine, cheap.

2 Likes

There’s a term for that.

9 Likes

The technical term is vorauseilender Gehorsam.

Mind you, it works best when those guys totally and unquestionally buy into their leader’s “vision”.
And when some of those guys actually happen to be intelligent, competent, and complete and utter bastards, things get really ugly really fast.

8 Likes

You owe me a coke.

2 Likes

I take your point; but he’s too reckless, inept, and stupid to be a successful mob boss.

Cult leader, however…

5 Likes

I often wonder just how much of Trump is Stephen Miller and how much of Stephen Miller is Trump.

On the side: My health insurance carrier (Humana) sent me two re-useable masks back in May, I believe it was. I guess they did to all their customers.

5 Likes

That’s not true. He is quite good at adultery!

7 Likes

I’m sure it was drilled into him early to never screw over the guys who have a list of remedies far cheaper than a lawsuit. Still, screwing people over is his nature.

1 Like

The BEST humble.

3 Likes

All the best.

1 Like

absolutely. the flip side being all the people he got rid of, or who left because they didn’t want to be complicit, could have helped steer us away from the shoals in the first place.

he created the leadership vacuum because it means everybody has to come to him. and nothing meaningful ever gets done because he himself is so incompetent.

the best plan for his lackeys then is alway promise trump can fix the moon then do nothing while looking vaguely busy.

he’s the one who asked them to stroke his ego after all. mission accomplished as far as donald’s concerned.

2 Likes