White supremacist hate groups find approval in Trump's words

… there are?

This isn’t a “Ghost Hunters” kind of thing, is it? Do I need spectral analysis goggles and sub-infra-frequency audio equipment to find them?

1 Like

I defer to the professionals on this one. If the KKK and the Neo-Nazis and the Proud Boys think he’s a racist then who am I to argue?

18 Likes

This isn’t a “Ghost Hunters” kind of thing, is it?

No 😄 there are at least a few, generally well educated, often older surprisingly, who really find the shift in values offensive.

There exists ample evidence that his father was an active klan member:

I am sure he would not see himself as racist, but he certainly was raised in a household that probably was not terribly UN-racist, and has been trained to repeat lines that get big cheers from his base, which happens to be quite racist. Conclusion: if Nazis and klan members think you are saying all the right things, you are saying all the wrong things.

12 Likes

You mean “racially tinged” or “racially charged”?

Yes, I am being bitter about how the media descibes these things.

9 Likes

These extremists’ sense of influence is almost certainly exaggerated. Mr. Trump … has said nothing about Mr. Soros’s religion or a larger Jewish conspiracy. […] But that hasn’t stopped those extremists from interpreting his words as a signal that the president shares their views.

And this is the point the blithe right-wing apologists make.

Except, what other President in recent history (who wasn’t a racist and didn’t want to be associated with racists) has ever been so fulsomely embraced by racists who see his words as almost explicit endorsements?

One of Geo W Bush’s first actions (God bless him) after 9-11 was to have an imam in the White House and make clear that the US did not have a problem with Islam. [Of course, he backtracked later, notably using terms like islamofascism, but still.]

To which the GOP apologist just goes back to “Those neo-Nazis aren’t Republicans. No True Republicans are neo-Nazis.” The same way Limbaugh reasoned Magabomber Cesar Sayoc could not be a Republican because a Republican “can’t” be a domestic terrorist.

And this isn’t even a retweet. This is his own tweet using the “88” = “HH” = “Heil Hitler” neo-Nazi meme. And, you know what? I personally don’t even think he intended it. But I think its because he does read so many alt-right, neo-Nazi tweets that the “88” stuck in his brain, and he used it without registering what the subtext was.

Although, which is worse? A retweet of a neo-Nazi or an original tweet using neo-Nazi symbology (however mistakenly).

13 Likes

I think that’s a reference to Gillium’s shot at DeSantis.

Which was phrased as such because the black man calling his political opponent a racist outright is liable to backfire, especially in godsdamned Florida.

You are not, insofar as I know, running against Trump for office, and neither is the other poster. Sly digs not required.

9 Likes

That is entirely possible, especially if his feed and his responses are so full of HH/88/14 Words stuff that he isn’t even thinking about it. But neither he nor his dad are people I tend to give much benefit of the doubt when it comes to broadcasting racist, white supremacist dogwhistles.

9 Likes

And/or that Junior, an incredibly stupid man, is an “advisor” to an incredibly stupid POS POTUS?

5 Likes

Keep in mind that ALL of these people will be out voting tomorrow. There is also a major call by the hateful religious right telling all well meaning but naive Christians that Trump was sent by God to save America. Please go out and vote. Any one party in control of all branches of government is toxic to democracy.

5 Likes

The only problem is that they are still in agreement that you are not racist when you have come to the realization of:

There’s a long line of people being brushed off as wrong about your views before you find out they are aligning with white nationalists, so being at that level of denial and continuing to claim you are not racist is extremely easy since you have been disregarding other people’s opinions no matter what. It’s part of why challenging your own opinion on a subject is tough to do, and is even harder when you are insulated culturally - not to mention the people that are purposely trying to preserve your bubble because it benefits them.

I mean, white nationalists have been pointing out Trump is their guy from day 1 (i.e. calling Latin immigrants rapists and murders) and he’s just been leaning further into the fold with time (such as declaring himself a nationalist and saying it’s a good thing). So the people that have denied Trump’s overt racism will continue to do so, and are likely calling themselves proud nationalists refusing to hear anyone point out to them that what they are doing is crazy racist.

EDIT

Just editing to say that I’m continuing the analogy here, not making accusations (I Hope obviously).

11 Likes

What a fucking circle-jerk of stupid. “Soros is a bad guy, and we know that because Trump said it, and he said it because we’ve been saying it, so I guess that proved we were right all along. Soros!”

4 Likes

:question:

Methinks you may have misunderstood my comment.

1 Like

6 Likes

Flashback to 2016:

5 Likes

We should stop using the word “supremacist” - it’s racism. I bet these people wear supremacy as badge of pride in private. Why should they be ashamed of what they believe in?

This country must be saved, and this is NOT the time to mice words. They are not white supremacists, they are white racists. They are not nationalists or alt-rights, they are nazis. Not deplorables, they are garbage and trash.

Call them out on the ugly truth of who they are instead of keeping to analyze and justify their existence for fear of being identified as one of them. It is part of who we are and we need to take responsibility to change it on our own.

5 Likes

Brannon told them in a speech in Europe to “wear white supremacist as a badge of honor.” Yeah, I think we can safely say it is not accidental.

3 Likes

Like the statements of Trump that the corporate media echo mindlessly, ad nauseam? Those words?

Whole list of the worst of them anyway. Why are there still any questions?

8 Likes

I don’t think anyone has implied that White Supremacists aren’t racists, and I certainly don’t think “White Supremacist” sounds like a softer term for racism. The term can be useful because it specifies a particular form of racism.

“I’m a Latino but I hope my daughter marries a Jew because they are good with money” is a pretty racist thing to say, but not necessarily White Supremacist.

7 Likes