Why did Trump make the "white power" hand signal when he mentioned AOC at the Young Conservatives DC summit?

Just want to point out that he is also making the ASL sign for “you’re an asshole”, but pointing it at himself

26 Likes

I think we have graduated to

6e20327ea1c5c182bf742096db67aefe

15 Likes

some times a cake is just a cake.

5 Likes

well, calling him an actor is super generous, and i can think of maybe 4 or 5 hand gestures he repeatedly uses, tops.

14 Likes

tumblr_936922b9bd356a57bf0f5c8120a3ea22_c3ffef27_640

10 Likes
9 Likes

If you have a platform to spew vitriol, simplify your garbage rhetoric, paint metaphorical pictures that the troglodytes can latch onto with their calloused knuckle fists and use recognizable hand gestures that are as recognizable as fascist iconography. Repeat until this trash pile becomes the truth, in the truthiness sense of the word.

1 Like

Infantroopen, Infantroopen, INFANTROOPEN!!!

1 Like

He has “meme guys” that he pays attention to? I might expect that unless it appeared on “Fox and Friends”, such discussions would not be likely to inspire more than a fleeting thought.

2 Likes

In the culture war no one can hear you clutch pearls and sweat the small stuff. He could give a big middle finger salute to the Dems and nobody would do anything, that’s my problem with reporting stuff like this, everyone’s chosen sides already. I say let him get as comfortable as he can to do something so perverse his loyal fans might actually go fuck that was disturbing. But I won’t hold my breath because nobody on our side with any power seems to give a shit about really getting people to think that this ain’t right. Yeah my optimism for the next election is pretty much at zero right now.

6 Likes

Because it’s a hand gesture he makes frequently and reflexively, and has for years, well before its current connotation.

I don’t see any need to look for secret hand signals as evidence that Trump is a white supremacist. There’s plenty of evidence of that in everything he says and does, and it’s a lot less covert than coded hand gestures.

9 Likes

Absolutely. Let the racists make up their own shitty gestures, the OK symbol is ours, damn it.

4 Likes

Yup, he talked up Dan Scavino during his “social media summit” – he’s Trump’s Director of Social Media, and Trump describes him as a guy who’ll find and show him memes to retweet.

6 Likes

I wondered about that as well.

I mean - obviously, yes - but I’m not sure he’s “with it” enough to understand the use of the hand sign. It may be that he’s just surrounded by so many people who use it, he’s picked it up without knowing why. Like a pet monkey who “sieg heils” just because he’s constantly surrounded by Nazis.

Or it’s just a tic, one of the hand gestures he frequently does, one that he originally used to mean “OK” but which no longer has any meaning, like many of his signifiers.

7 Likes

In the cited images above, he’s making a pinching gesture to emphasize a point he’s making. The video, whether deliberate or not, really comes off as a flashed hand sign because it’s not waved around for emphasis, it’s crisply circular instead of pinching, and he’s not emphasizing any point - he’s referencing a person.

If deliberate, a possible translation:

8 Likes

This was at the same event. Too much trolling? or Fake news?

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-appears-front-altered-presidential-120156551.html

1 Like

I see. Perhaps he is slightly less than completely oblivious about such things.

To date, Scavino is the longest-serving aide in the Trump Administration.

Oh dear.

2 Likes
11 Likes

It’s not racism. He’s just using the space between his thumb and his index finger to illustrate the size of his manhood.

10 Likes

Wait… the OK symbol is racist now? God damnit… First Pepe, now OK, if they ruin the peace sign :v: next im starting a one man riot.

1 Like