Why did Trump make the "white power" hand signal when he mentioned AOC at the Young Conservatives DC summit?

Because everyone has that one little thing they just can’t lie about.

7 Likes

Is there another Boing Boing post I missed about this?

Since, it’s from the same event and related. :rofl:

3 Likes

Here you go.

5 Likes

I imagine the job is much like painting a wall with spaghetti.

1 Like

Asshole gotta’ asshole.

1 Like

If you wiggle the three upright fingers, it’s ASL for “flaming asshole”.

4 Likes

I once met a guy who had legally changed his name to “Seth!”.

1 Like

The okay hand gesture is a white supremacist thing now!? Fine I’m going back to flipping everyone off again at least everyone will know where I stand.
Craig

4 Likes

Now I’m trying to combine the ASL hand gestures for bull shit with flaming asshole…

From 2016:

11 Likes

They did cover this, however. Rachel Maddow’s first story tonight (7/25/19).

Trump held a youth rally either last night or today. He spoke for a hour in front of the seal pictured below:

Donnie's%20Russia%20Seal

THAT IS NOT THE OFFICIAL SEAL OF POTUS.

Nothing was said about it at the rally. Trump and the audience took no apparent notice of this spurious seal.

Note that the eagle that is central to the design is two-headed. That is the emblem of the Russian Federation, as shown below:

Also, the central shield covering the chest of the eagle, with the vertical red lines topped with a blue field. The little icons in that bit of blue field are hammer and sickle symbols.

The text on the ribbon above the eagle says “45 es un titere,” which is Spanish for “45 is a puppet.” The real seal of Potus says “e Pluribus Unum.”

Also, in the talons of the eagle’s left foot are not thirteen arrows representing the thirteen colonies, but a set of golf clubs.

Turns out this fake seal was invented by the owner of the website OneTermDonnie.com, and somebody took it as the real thing and projected it behind him during his speech, for an hour, right next to the real Seal of Potus. Mistake? Intentional? You tell me.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at this. It’s something straight out of a movie.

EXPLANATION IS POSTED BELOW.

6 Likes
8 Likes

6 Likes

I’m not convinced. Partially because I sincerely doubt Trump could manage that level of subtlety without being prompted, reminded, and then going “HEY AND IF YOU DIDN’T CATCH THE HAND SIGN I’M MAKING, HERE IT IS AGAIN”, but mostly because Trump has been making that exact gesture while speaking(among a handful of other commonly used gestures) since 2015 on the campaign trail, long before it was taken up as a white supremacist gesture, which only happened in 2018-early 2019.

3 Likes

Yeah, but he’s long been courting white supremacists and his buffoonery is often a conscious act, so . . .

6 Likes

That’s true, but while Trump is many things, I think a Time Traveler is hardly one of them - and if he’s been doing it since 2015, and they only took the gesture up in earnest in early 2018 at the absolute provable earliest, somehow doubt that he was doing it because of white supremacists. It’s more likely the Alt-right decided to try and take up that gesture because Trump already used it commonly, rather than the other way around.

Honestly, there’s enough to be angry about, and to fight against, without having to jump at every shadow. We already know trump is a white supremacist, we already know he hates AOC and the others, it’s not like this is even anything new, it’s just a panic over something he was already doing, which happens to line up by coincidence with other, seperate things we already knew.

And let’s face it, once again, since when has Trump ever, EVER been that subtle. At least, without then immediately fucking it up by pointing it out and making it incredibly obvious, because he’s a fucking clueless buffoon without even the slightest trace of subtlety. And even that might be overstating his ability a little - he doesn’t just seem completely devoid of anything resembling subtlety, he actively rejects it.

1 Like

True. But if somebody ever pointed out that progressives are offended, his reaction would be. “Than I am going to do it even more,” because offending liberals stirrs up his base.

2 Likes

This is totally taken out of context. Trump had just performed a giant stride off a boat and was flashing the OK sign to the divemaster to let them know everything is ok.

For sure. Even though I don’t think this particular instance was him doing it for that reason, after the outcry, you can be damned sure the next times will be, because that kind of bigoted doubling down is pretty much his standard play.

About the only part of that seal that you can’t claim Trump represents. I don’t think a Tankie Trump would be an improvement though.

4 Likes