Why people don't like the word "moist"

I’m sorely tempted to click on that link, but I just can’t take the risk.

1 Like

Uh. Maybe there isn’t a widespread fear of clowns, but let’s be serious here. No one has ever particularly liked clowns. Adults who dress up in white face, oversize clothes and try to play with children are creepy. Mimes are creepy for a similar reason, but they really veer far more towards annoying.

much like the hatred for cilatro and cumin, the hatred for the word “■■■■■” was something i didn’t even know was possible, let alone a thing, until the internet came around.

1 Like

When Juicy Couture first became A Thing and it seemed that every female under the age of 75 was walking around with “JUICY” emblazoned across her buttocks, I had a fleeting urge to start up a clothing company to sell nothing but sweatpants that said ■■■■■ across the ass.

6 Likes

I’m tempted to claim that you are “mansplaining” this topic, for the sheer revolting irony.

1 Like

How do they describe good cake?

1 Like

“…wearing ugly, oversized, black, plastic framed glasses…”

You need to add without Rx lenses.

2 Likes

BTW: I never even thought about the word ■■■■■, but now that I’ve read this thread I really do have an issue with it, with panties, with ladies, etc.

1 Like

As “Cake”

Obviously.

They describe bad cake as “ice cream cake”
:wink:

I thought the answer to this was obvious.

"■■■■■”-averse people also tended to have more general disgust reactions to bodily functions, suggesting that it’s the connotations with bodily functions and sex that sets people off.

It shouldn’t take much effort to come to such a conclusion.

same feeling

1 Like

My friends and I were hating on ■■■■■ as 15 year olds in 1997. We didn’t really have any kind of functional internet then (unless you count a 56k modem connection and paying by the minute as functional). I guess we were ahead of our time. We also hated clowns.

Is it because ‘they come out at night… moistly.’

1 Like

I’ve always hated the word “fancy.” I remember watching Mr. Rogers, he used to sing a song called, “Everybody’s fancy, everybody’s fine,” and it would put me on edge. I would plug my ears with my fingers until it was over.
Also, totally feeling the “ladies” hate. I especially dislike it when fellas of a certain age refer to the woman they are seeing as their “lady-friend.” It sounds soooo creepy!

Oh yeah, I forgot about “classy”

God I hate the word classy.

2 Likes

It really depends how one says “ladies,” I think. Most of the time I bet you hardly even notice because it’s not used all unctuous and shit.

For instance:
“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to our stage Mr. Thelonious Sphere Monk.” That’s fine.
“San Francisco is famous for its gaily-painted Victorian rowhouses, known as Painted Ladies.” Also okay.
“Don’t ever play Lady Of Spain again!” Depends how you feel about accordions and/or ice hockey.

On the other hand:
“Greetings, ladies, and welcome to Chad’s Pad… Can I interest you in some cocktails?”
And its ponytail-&-fedora equivalent, “A libation, m’lady? May I recommend the Bajoran Springwine.”

1 Like

I’m sure the article has it the wrong way round, using follow instead of precede and vice-versa. Who would say “cake ■■■■■”?

■■■■■ is a Stephen Fry word.

The study says that people were presented with one word at a time, so their response to ‘■■■■■’ was primed by the previous word- they were never actually presented with ‘cake’ and ‘■■■■■’ at the same time.

I’m with Mr Fry on this one, I like the word. I think it might because I enjoy growing plants- ‘■■■■■ soil’ is a good thing.

Or maybe everybody has always hated clowns, but always thought that they were the only one. Then one day somebody spoke up and triggered this massive wave of revulsion. It’s like Trypophobia–widely thought not to be a real thing, but whenever someone brings it up thousands of people will jump in and say “Me too!”

Quite possible. But people claiming things like Electromagnetic hypersensitivity are clearly bandwagon-jumpers. So it’s likely some of both.