Will Clinton "Finish Him" at third debate?

Not to mention they don’t currently have the majority in either house of Congress, and aren’t likely to be structurally capable of retaking the House until after the 2020 census triggers a new round of redistricting. When it comes to being “in power”, the legislature is just as crucial.

7 Likes

I was a bit ambitious. At this point 12 seems likely. 24 is wild speculation on my part.

Possibly 16 unless the GOP can start appealing to sane people and rebuild the bridges to various well-off minority groups that GWB had started to build and subsequent Republicans incinerated.

But the one thing we learn from history is that we don’t learn from history. A significant level of the GOP will be believing that they needed to be more extremist to win the next election.

7 Likes

Seeing how they crumbled when they had the opportunity to stand up to Trump / for “morals” alongside how shitty the 3rd party candidates go, I don’t even know.

2 Likes

After all, “Conservatism” never fails, You can only fail “Conservatism”.

3 Likes

Its more like you shouldn’t take Conservatism too seriously.

If Clinton gets elected, I would give her a better-than-even chance of getting re-elected in four years, given the current state of the Republican Party, and not foreseeing any major disaster in the interim.

But we have absolutely no idea who even the Democrats would even run in 8 years, let alone a refocused Republican Party.

4 Likes

If Bernie was just a bit younger…

4 Likes

Sir,
I note your suggestion that I am either a poison pen letter writer, a nutcase or the former head of SIS, and will use this to inform my attitude to any future posts you make.
Believe me to be, Sir,
Yr. humble & obt. svt.,*
etc. etc.

*civil service sarcasm.

5 Likes

‘Here’s a pound’ :wink:

This election was practically a tie a few weeks ago.

Nobody knows what’s going to be going on in 2020.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m sure you’re just making a joke but I have to point out that this makes less than no sense. Libertarians, not being known for love of authoritarians, can’t stand either Trump or Putin. I don’t know why you would call a non-state libertarian instead of anarchist, either.

I didn’t say much better than even.

1 Like

“I have a secret plan to defeat ISIS, but I won’t tell anybody what it is unless you elect me” says everything I need to know about his “patriotism.”

4 Likes

Are we talking about the right wing libertarians? Because that has not been my experience. A lot of them just want their own fiefdom without the government telling them they can’t tell their serfs workers what they can and can’t do.

11 Likes

In my view Libertarians want an environment that would allow authoritarians to take over. Basically, a recipe for a Somalia or a Yemen. But I expect everybody else realised that it was just a joke based on Clinton’s claim of a supposed rapprochement between Trump and Putin.

Ah, I was right. Thank you, @the_borderer, for reaffirming my faith in boingboing users.

5 Likes

Many republicans that self-identify as Libertarian will be voting for Trump, paying lower taxes and less regulation > authoritarianism.

1 Like

This is counterintuitive but I get it. They are anti-authoritarian, but the conditions they want would create a power vacuum that authoritarians could easily exploit.

6 Likes

The Truly Free Market will sort out that Fascism right quick, you see…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.