Woman gored after approaching bison in Yellowstone National Park

I hope the bison is doing okay.

8 Likes

Surely that one needs some punctuation

2 Likes

James, while John had had ‘had’, had had ‘had had’. ‘Had had’ had had a better effect on the teacher

2 Likes

When there are cattle with calves in a field, that’s the time to be very, very wary, and if you have a dog with you, do not, under any circumstances, go into the field!
Unfortunately, many people think that cattle are quiet, calm creatures, which always back off if you approach them; bring a dog into the field, and it’s like Jekyll and Hyde! Two people have died walking dogs in fields on the edge of my town with cows and calves in, in recent years; in both cases they refused to let the dogs go, with tragic results. A bison is sodding huge by comparison to a dairy cow.

5 Likes

Yup. Mama bear has nothing on mama cow.
And Christ, they can be fast when they want to.

1 Like

From 2000 to 2015 cows were responsible for 74 deaths in England, according to a story in the Independent. I’ve read that cows are responsible for more than 20 deaths a year worldwide, versus four for sharks.

1 Like

10 Likes

I was walking a country road here recently with the dog. Rounded a corner and saw a cow and calf in the road about 100m ahead.

I leashed the dog and walked very slowly closer to see if they’d retreat to the field
With the rest of the cows.

Got to about 20m away before it became clear that the road was theirs and that the only one who didn’t get that was me.

We ended up having to take a detour through some extremely dense woods adjacent to the road to get by.

I wanted to get back to the road though because it was such slow going. So we started to go back in that direction and realised mama had turned to follow our progress.

Stayed in the woods until we were well clear.

Right after we get out, the farmer turns up and casually waves the creatures back into the pasture :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

On Custer Hill in Ft Riley Kansas the munitions bunkers are (or were) located within a fenced ‘buffalo’ enclosure. Sure, the one jeep patrolling inside with troops with shotguns are security, but the real guards are a dozen two-ton bison. And Old Testy loved to chase that jeep. Moral: avoid big ungulates.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.