Woman records her dinner date with a creepy "nice guy"

That’s also the part where his voice went from creepy monotone with hints of smarminess to scary monotone with hints of assault. Seriously, why do these guys all have the same fucking voice? Is that part of the pick up artist training, too? “Try to sound like a serial killer. That totally drives the ladies wild!”

7 Likes

The guy’s delivery was like the lock picking lawyer talking to a padlock.

5 Likes

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

24 Likes

Of course Beau has a great take on this fuckery; good on him.

19 Likes

Beau’s comment about the awfulness of a woman feeling she has to put her trust in a random stranger to extricate her from a situation with a creep is dead-on. I’ve been in that situation a few times, and the worst part for me (nothing compared to her distress, of course) was when the woman felt she had to apologise to me for the situation afterward, as if it were her fault instead of the creep’s that I was “inconvenienced”.

21 Likes

It’s relevant, and might be handy to avoid repetition of ground that’s already been covered ad nauseum.

21 Likes

It’s always good to have evidence.

15 Likes

And they’re all assholes and you’re not helping.

16 Likes

Especially when the society we live in isn’t prone to believe women, in general.

18 Likes

If you had, you might have noticed that tons of people had already covered what you said… Several times over. It’s not helpful, and it’s been fucking debunked.

discovery-ash-slurp

17 Likes

I am astounded. I can only hope I’ve taught my boys to behave better, think better of themselves and of whoever they are attracted to. What a poisonous cesspool.

I’m not sure I ever dated in the ‘getting to know you for the first time’ sense. I just lived my life and stumbled across people that made me laugh/laughed at my jokes, and sometimes that led to stuff. Most recently it has led to 25 years of a happy marriage.

I always thought of myself as a nice guy, but it seems these jackasses have wrecked the language now.

21 Likes

Kids learn more by example than by explicit instruction, so how you and your wife interact (and how you interact with other women you meet while with your kids) will show them the way. You won’t know how that stuck with them until they’re adults and interacting with other people in the world. :woman_shrugging:

24 Likes

Following up on @DukeTrout’s post above…

As a rule of thumb, once a Topic gets to 80+ replies chances are that one’s observation or question won’t be as original as one thinks it is. If I’m that late to a topic but really want to comment I usually do a quick skim to make sure I’m not re-treading old ground.

19 Likes

angry the big lebowski GIF

(I actually wanted a gif of him scolding Donnie for bursting into a conversation like a child, with no idea of what’s going on, but can’t find one. This works, tho. :wink: )

21 Likes

Hopefully. Just in case I’ve been talking to them all their lives about consent and everything else.

15 Likes

I think the taking is important too. It reinforces what the kids are seeing and gives them the language to discuss issues. Because you’ve talked with them about consent, they hopefully have the language to discuss consent with their future partners.
It takes both, as a parent. You have to walk the walk and talk the talk.

I’m terrified of when my kid gets old enough to date. As tough as things are for queer ppl, I find myself hoping she prefers anyone but cis men. Which makes me sad

ETA:
Beau said (paraphrasing) “if a man has a bad date, he has a bad date. If a woman has a bad date, she may not be going home.”

He is absolutely correct

21 Likes

30 Rock Reaction GIF

That is more than lots of parents do, so…

15 Likes

Please don’t propagate the harmful sexist notion that women are some sort of alien species, whereas men are normal and easy to figure out. Every human being is an individual and no more or less difficult to figure out what they want, by speaking to them as equals.

23 Likes

I do not know what women want.
I also do not know what men want.
I’ll get back to you when I’ve figured out what I want.

16 Likes

Well, but that’s the problem - the idea that “men” or “women” all want the same thing… just assume everyone is individual, none of us want the same things, and go from there… As @VeronicaConnor is often used to treat women as an “alien species” and dehumanize us.

15 Likes