Wonderful Thing of the Month contest

Fair point - I agree that drawing more attention to actual BB posts that are wonderful is a good thing. If only it would catch their attention and influence the balance of what is posted on the front page.

And as @FloridaManJefe said, them IS the rules. I should have posted @johnson’s story to ‘needs more likes’, I expect. I’ll do that.

2 Likes

I’d like to nominate:

Mainly because no sheeps were harmed during this awesome reboot of the Famous Five stories, but also because of my admiration for their constitution.

(I whited out both times I tried it, more than thirty years ago - you GO, sheeps).

5 Likes

As much as I enjoy October, it’s sad to see September go. These stories were proposed for polling, in no particular order:

Most Wonderful 2023-09
  • Public Bench Embroidery
  • Banyan Tree Regrowth
  • Kindness for a Bee
  • Bike Horn Reaction Classification
  • High Sheep
0 voters

Get your vote in before the end of Thursday :ballot_box:
I think I already saw some more good stuff coming in, should be a fun month ahead! :ghost:

1 Like

I did:

1 Like

When drafting this contest, I knew a tiebreaker situation was an eventuality. Wasn’t sure whether to award the superlative to the nomination with the most likes or fewest (for the intrigue and as a boost for the underdog).

Turns out though, Discourse rounded up Banyan Tree, likely due to its order in the poll. Just this once, I’ll go with the literal interpretation of the poll: so thank you @jlw here is your prize:
skullspinning
:tophat: Hat tip once again to @FloridaManJefe for knowing how to pick a winner.

Finally, a modest participation trophy for @anothernewbbaccount
who submitted two nominations: one which was runner-up, the other politely rescinded out of respect for the contest rules.

Any other ideas for resolving ties?
Keep the nominations coming!

11 Likes

I’d like to thank my family, my fellow posters, all the editors/bloggers, everyone at Discourse, and everyone who voted, and I will treasure this wonderful trophy for all time.
[gets yanked off stage for outstaying his welcome at the microphone]

:wink:
PS Thanks, Bunbain!

7 Likes

What can I say, so far this hasn’t been the most wonderful October ever. Nevertheless, from what I’ve seen of this post,

it gets a nomination from me. Thinking about ordering a copy for a friend!

7 Likes

I’m a sucker for outer space stuff:

https://boingboing.net/2023/10/26/astonishing-image-of-jupiter-reveals-never-before-seen-wild-weather-phenomenon.html

October is almost finished!

7 Likes

https://boingboing.net/2023/10/26/the-bible-pulled-from-school-shelves-due-to-explicit-content.html

2 Likes

I just ordered two!

2 Likes

So October’s been about as wonderful as a lawn covered in Gingko berries, I added a few poll entries off the cuff:

OCTOBER
  • Jupiter Weather Phenomena
  • Bible Removed from School
  • CEREAL
  • Pinball Oil Paintings
  • “I ate all your precious golf worms and I’d do it again”
0 voters
5 Likes

here to start November’s nomination:

5 Likes

I had a feeling this was going to be the winner. Thank You Jennifer Sandlin, a.k.a. “BB Contributor” for passing along this wonderful piece of creative writing,

Your trophy comes in the form of another noble and majestic creature!
turkeyjumpCLR2

13 Likes

This is a pretty wonderful thing. I love the fun people are having with this.

10 Likes

Thanks! I would’ve nominated it myself if you hadn’t

2 Likes

Nominating this for the “awww” factor:

8 Likes

Human creativity meets natural processes: the gallery of slumping pumpkins is truly wonderful,

7 Likes
3 Likes

I’ll admit I’m not totally into this one, but it links to a blog rather than some fast link to an Instagram account (i.e., bonus points),

November’s nearly over, what all else is wonderful lately?

3 Likes

Sorry I’m a day late with the poll. Let’s look at the November entries in no particular order:

• The next Girl Scout cookie mascot :cookie:
  • The next Minnesota state flag :duck:
  • Taming a feral cat :smirk_cat:
  • Slumping Pumpkins :jack_o_lantern:
  • Siegfried and Joy :magic_wand:
0 voters

Yes I know a duck is not a loon! Go petition the unicode consortium!

4 Likes