Wonderful Thing of the Month contest

You may recall from my OP, I was first inspired to create a contest from this story.

And if you’ve been keeping a close eye on the BBS feed, you may have also noticed this–

Not a front page post, but @Scientist (rightly) found it notable enough to give it its own discussion. Same artist, but transcends “cool maker video.” (I encourage you to also view the Steven Seagal and Michael Jackson builds, and I say this as a person who abhors watching long youtube videos).

So if I were to break my own rule, it would be for this, since the original, front-paged, Mel Gibson build never had the chance to be nominated.

The OP is clear about the motivation for the contest: as a response to BoingBoing naysayers ("waah it used to be a directory of wonderful things). Besides, if we could post any story from anywhere on the Internet, this activity would become too challenging to maintain!

6 Likes

Of course I will nominate a warm and fuzzy cat post

15 Likes

Quail are adorable little dorks. Everything about them is wonderful :heart_eyes:

16 Likes

Late entry to qualify, but still deserving IMO. Lot’s of other wonderful bridges in the thread, too.

11 Likes

Not quite the immediate, on-the-nose hit of “wonderful” usually found here, but this - in its own quiet, 16-minutes-long way - is rather wonderful, indeed.

10 Likes

:thinking: Too soon?

18 Likes

not at all too soon and truly a Wonderful Thing™, for sure!

13 Likes

Wonderful in its own way, indeed, but I don’t think it fits the specifications for this contest?

From the OP:

7 Likes

i “sad emojied” that because… well, dammit, you are right.
but let us be cheerful in our own ways and continue to raise the Wonderful above our gut reaction schadenfreude to keep the intent of this thread clear of the baser political bumps that brought us to this thread in the first place.
¿que, no?

8 Likes

Here’s hoping maybe i had some insight into the future when i wrote that! :crystal_ball:
For me anyhow, i have this feeling of satisfaction about the conviction more than anything. Like that feeling of relief from sitting down after being on your feet all day. It’s a wonderful feeling, but only relative to these years of compounded stress and worry. And i don’t think a child born in 2016 could really share in that feeling the same way we might share in the wonder of, say, the greatest mechanical calculating devices of all time (this post is a nomination too, and happy June-- I’ll be putting up the poll some time Monday).

6 Likes

Exactly, and winning the contest with that post only rewards beschizza insofar as being the first one to put it on the website. Not for uncovering something cool that we all may not have seen otherwise. But don’t get me wrong-- I do appreciate the political coverage on this site! It’s my main way of keeping informed if you can believe it!

5 Likes

:notes: Driving fish do do do do do do! Driving fish do do do do do do do! :musical_note:

12 Likes

Sorry I’m late, all right this here is always tough for me, with so many great entries. The 5 finalists have always been chosen based on number of hearts with other positive reactions as a tiebreaker. I could be convinced to change the method to total positive reactions with hearts as the tiebreaker (in this case it would have resulted in an unbreakable tie forcing 6 finalists).
Okay let’s go:

• Wool “spraypaint”
  • Max the Cat, Ph.D.
  • 19 quail chicks
  • Slauerhoffbrug (flying drawbridge)
  • Extreme Beachcombing
0 voters

You have 72 hours to vote!

10 Likes

Methinks there are some feline enthusiasts in the forum! And the prize is handily awarded to @Rusty_Blazenhoff a first i believe! Thanks for keeping the BBS wonderful, how about a cat napping on a college textbook for a trophy?
catbook
Hat tip to @Wayward for nominating Max, among other great blog entries over the past several months.
Happy Caturday everybody!

12 Likes
1 Like
8 Likes
4 Likes

Agreed!

13 Likes
7 Likes

Suggested by @euansmith

8 Likes