World Politics

Yeah my first reaction to the cartoon was that it was mis-captioned.

“I miss the old days when we at least pretended to export democracy.”

9 Likes
10 Likes

In before the pearl clutchers arrive, clutching their pearls over how humanity is gonna disappear and women need to get back to pumping out at least 10 kids over the course of their lives, because 8 billion people on this rock just isn’t enough…

Of course, the actual problem there is that China has an old population, and already the current population was having problems taking care of their elderly (ironic for a culture known for their reverence of elders). But having a bunch of babies right now won’t fix that… Immigration, however, might.

13 Likes

Oh, I don’t think the worry is about humanity. It’s about who is the majority.

ETA: I’m sure some conservative pols are glad to see news like this…the ghouls:

8 Likes

Oh sure… Good point! But this is the line they push… so, more likely, given that, they’ll ignore this, or celebrate it… And turn their “concerns” on India…

6 Likes

Except that now everyone is competing for the same immigrants. Also, luring smart, motivated people out of economies that are on the brink of professional health, particularly economies with nuclear weapons and active spy recruitment programs, might be contributing to other problems. :thinking:

Edit: Also, perhaps :cn: 's COVID death toll is higher than ~65,000. Eyeballing that graph from Reuters, it looks like 13m people are missing, which makes my very rough estimate of 5.4m :cn: COVID deaths look low. COVID may have shrunk the birth rate by about a million births a year (back of the envelope), but that’s only 2 to 3m of that. If COVID is responsible for the population drop then the numbers are going to skew to the elderly.

9 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Brazil has left the Geneva Consesus.

12 Likes

Is that the same friendly Finland who kicked their arses that time?

8 Likes

Damn, I knew that the political situation in Haiti was bad, but not this bad:

9 Likes

Jacinda Ardern has, apparently, run out of gas.

12 Likes

Just saw that. Wtf? Nooo!

11 Likes

It’s a bit of a shock. She seemed to be doing so well, I really didn’t expect anything like this.

8 Likes

Tired of the nonsense, it seems… She was not as well liked at home as internationally.

Maybe we can talk Ms. Ardern into coming to :canada: to be our next Governor General… :thinking:

7 Likes
8 Likes

It is so sad. This festival seems to be so interesting and cool.

http://www.patang.tv/

4 Likes

Sounds like she’s hoping for a better, safer life.

15 Likes

TIL, she was raised in the Mormon church…

Which makes a weird kind of sense that she’d be interested in the Labour party from the time she was a teenager. Mormons tend to be highly community focused, which aligns well with Labour-style politics. I don’t know how the mainstream Mormon community managed to get captured by a political party that does not align well with their strong historical focus on community (ie Mitt Romney).

I have no idea if she still practices her religion of childhood today?

11 Likes

Apparently, she left the church in her twenties.

"Ardern has said that she left the Utah-based church in her 20s over the faith’s stance on LGBTQ issues. She told The New Zealand Herald in 2017 that she used to live in an apartment with three gay friends while she still was attending Sunday services “every so often.”

“I just remember thinking ‘this is really inconsistent — I’m either doing a disservice to the church or my friends,’” she recalled. “Because how could I subscribe to a religion that just didn’t account for them?”"

19 Likes