Xitter XEO exposes vast conspiracy of legal behavior

space karen’s entitlement is out of this world

11 Likes

Being willing to do that video with that gravitas gives us insight into just HOW MUCH MONEY she’s being paid, given what her boss told the people he’s now suing.

12 Likes

billionaire spaceman

13 Likes

The bot in that video is amazingly life-like, but in a creepy way. They need to work on its hand movements.

4 Likes

So the markets doing what the market does and now that’s not such a good thing?

11 Likes

I understand the technical term for this is “trumpian”.

6 Likes

Twitter tells advertisers to go fsck themselves, now sues them for fscking the fsck off

15 Likes

I’m not a corporate legalmancer; so maybe this is just my ignorance; but the part of the lawsuit that blows my mind is:

Concerned that Twitter might deviate from certain brand safety standards for advertising on social media platforms set through GARM, the conspirators collectively acted to enforce Twitter’s adherence to those standards through the boycott.

Outright admitting “Our customers stopped buying our shit because they were worried that we were unreliable and high risk” seems like a crazy opening to an argument about a zOMG Illegal Conspiracy!

Obviously a trade group could(and I’m sure at least some have) assist in facilitating a bit of cartel activity among members; but in this case Twitter’s own complaint is laying out how GARM members were deeply concerned about Twitter’s brand-safety issues and GARM’s assessment was that their concerns were justified.

It feels a bit filthy to make the comparison; since advertising is a sordid little diversion rather than a critical aspect of civilization-building; but this complaint sounds like a manufacturer of pipe fittings suing the ASTM because its standards wonks and customers who care about that sort of thing were deeply concerned that it was selling valves that misrepresented their specifications and had a high risk of dangerous failures under expected use conditions; and claiming that is an illegal conspiracy rather than a totally sensible customer reaction to a dodgy supplier.

10 Likes

It seems strange to us, but a lot of Libertarians hate standards bodies and quality assurance groups almost as much as they hate government regulatory agencies and unions. Any group that imposes rules or expectations on corporate “persons” and rugged individualist entrepreneurs is seen by them as an impediment to the financial health of society and another paving stone on the ol’ Road to Serfdom.

It’s not clear if Yaccarino believes this nonsense or is just parroting Musk as part of her job. Either way it’s pathetic and weird.

19 Likes

I’m not surprised that musk would be in favor of it; aside from being a petulant man-child he seems to have real difficulty with the concept(normally well understood by his peers) that oligarchy gives people who matter broad reign to treat people who don’t as consumables; but implies the existence of a relatively small; but by no means single-person, class of natural and corporate persons who are within the club of people who have rights under the law.

I’m just surprised that the peon tasked with writing the case up would open the complaint with something that sounds more like what GARM’s defense would be arguing.

7 Likes

It may have just been a case where Musk followed up a tantrum over the reasons behind the bad quarterly ad numbers by doing some lawyering. It’s easy to imagine him either writing it himself or dictating it to Xitter’s in-house legal scribe.

10 Likes

“Concerning.”

/s

10 Likes

Yes, yes it is. Even crazier, since it is a membership organization, and has no power to actually force its members to adhere to those standards. It’s not like GARM could do anything if Coca-Cola decided to place ads next to Nazi tripe other than say: “we’re sorry, but you can no longer be a member and we won’t take your dues anymore.”

Xitter is banking on Muskrat’s fart-sniffing fandom to not understand that the membership of GARM join in order to influence the creation of those standards, make those standards public and transparent, and then evaluate platforms for adherence to those standards and provide a grade to their membership to assist them in making ad buy decisions. The courts will have no such trouble. (Yes, I worked for an industry association at one time.)

My guess is Muskrat hopes this SLAPP suit will intimidate GARM into not pointing out how horrible Xitter is, or maybe spur his fanbois into boycotting GARM members?

They also love blaming others for their disastrously bad decisions. Their failures are never their fault, but the fault of some external group that lacks the understanding of how awesomesauce they are and vision to let them do whatever horrible shit they want to do.

11 Likes

Which is more delusional and spiral-eyed: Calling Xitter “the global town square, the ONE PLACE you can express yourself freely” in 2024, while wearing a “free speech” necklace, OR, acting weepy and butthurt that advertisers might not come around so much anymore, in 2024….? Shades of “Only I can fix it”.

11 Likes

So i had to go look this up. Good Luck! boycotting Pepsi and Coke and ABinBev and Nestle and General Mills and Kelloggs and Unilever and Johnson&Johnson and Procter&Gamble (inhales) and SonyPhilipsMicrosoftMcDonalds… (you get the idea)

15 Likes

The only test cases I can come up with are the following:

1. Florida Light and Power to a customer who is capable of living “off grid.”
  2. Mandatory garbage services for entities that “produce no garbage.”
6 Likes

I don’t know. There’s at least one GARM member company that I hope he could spur his cultists into boycotting. It’s not located between WFA and YouTube, but there is a familiar icon between Twitch and Unilever.

9 Likes

They changed the logo but didn’t bother to move it.

5 Likes

While it can definitely be sordid, a lot of that comes from the enshitification. In its ideal form, advertising is really just helping people find the products and services that best meet their needs and wants. Believe it or not, there are actually companies that practice advertising like that, because they want customers to have the right product for them, even if it’s not the company’s product. That’s how companies establish credibility and earn long-term customers rather than pulling a fast one and getting a quick buck.

10 Likes

Until the founders get tired or otherwise decide to move on, and then the company gets sold and enshittification can begin.

7 Likes