Yellowstone tourists put bison calf in car because they thought it was cold

Please tell me that they were from Florida.

1 Like

Idaho. Sorry.

1 Like

The calf was not accepted back by the herd and had to be euthanized. “In this case, park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed. The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway.” http://basinreboot.com/181800312795824128

It appears that the incident was reported by visitors from Idaho, while the perpetrators were “from another country”. Does Florida qualify?

4 Likes

Oh, you’re right. That’s what I get for skimming.

How much did we pay Spain for Florida? Think it’s too late to return it?

8 Likes

Eh, they could just smuggle home an orca to get rid of their costly penguin. They would need to enlarge the “pool” quite a bit and buy more fish but at least they wouldn’t be so cold.

1 Like

Everybody knows that bison only survived due to the kindness of tourists with warm cars for tens of thousands of years.

12 Likes

Where can one rent a Toyota Sequoia? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on a rental lot.

1 Like

Well, fuck. That turned dark.

Also:

1 Like

The more mountainous of our states tend to have real SUV-type cars (skis, snowboards, etc.) to rent.

I’m not sure what your proposing, and I’m tempted to think you’re trolling. I’m not sure using the “take shoes off for flying” is an effective argument, considering that there has never been a successful shoe bomber and there have been two successful bra bombers. But, I’ll entertain you anyway… what kind of car tax do you propose that will stop this? What other regulations do you think we should add to eliminate the two “build a better idiot” examples I’ve given – photographing too close & people capturing small animals in their backpacks. You’ve failed to address concerns about how people can still enjoy the park after-hours, nor provided a concrete plan.

We do. It’s called an entrance fee?

1 Like

Think what you like. I’m not going to detail a bullet point plan to prevent idiots from enjoying the park, that was never my point. I didn’t mean tax, I meant restrictions. Other national parks are far less generous than yellowstone with driving privileges, for numerous reasons, not just wildlife idiocy. I think that’s partly why, when a truly stupid tourist moment comes on the news, it’s usually yellowstone that hosts said idiocy.

The shoe bomb idea was a bad analogy, I was trying to reference all the extreme measures we take to prevent political violence on airplanes, while ignoring gun violence in achools. None of which has much to do with idiots in yellowstone, my bad.

1 Like

To be fair, your great great granparents had no idea what we would become…

We all know the wall is to keep us in, we just don’t want to admit it.

1 Like

1 Like

This is the Australian version. I’ve been to that glacier. You have to walk past about six warning signs, then traverse a couple of kilometers of bare rock, then walk under an overhanging wall of ice to die that way. It takes determination and extreme stupidity.

3 Likes

Do not provoke the ice cliff with your karate or your Saturday-Night-Fever dance moves.

[This is actually the approach to the Franz Josef glacier, not the Fox, but near enough]

7 Likes

This pic belongs in the <a href=“https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/danger-danger/65645"target=”_blank">Danger Danger thread.

5 Likes

“Don’t taunt falling ice by shaking your fist at it.”

2 Likes