Yet another Battlestar Galactica reboot

There’s always room for another Starbuck at the Starbucks.

21 Likes

I might be interested if it was more than a surface re-boot, where they took the basic story and characters and themes into a radically different setting (medieval, Wall Street, whatever) and explored the idea of “authenticity” and “loss of human empire” with metaphorical Cylons that weren’t a rerun of robots.

If it’s just the same schtick and visual backgrounds with new actors, I think I’m going to get bored super quickly.

(They have the money and opportunity to try and surprise me though.)

2 Likes

I wish they’d just make more Caprica, tbh.

9 Likes

LOL - well get to it. Looks like my brain got crosswired…

I only saw the first episode of Caprica but it didn’t really hook me; it felt like they were getting ready to spend yet more time retreading the “monotheism vs. polytheism” themes that the previous BSG series had already beaten into the ground. Did it get better as the show moved on?

2 Likes

at some point one must conclude they are trying to confuse us on purpose

2 Likes

Katee Sackhoff is a lot more gracious than I would have been to Benedict:

One thing is certain. In the new un-imagined, re-imagined world of
Battlestar Galactica everything is female driven. The male
characters, from Adama on down, are confused, weak, and wracked with
indecision while the female characters are decisive, bold, angry as
hell, puffing cigars (gasp) and not about to take it any more.

One can quickly surmise what a problem the original Starbuck created
for the re-imaginators. Starbuck was all charm and humour and
flirting without an angry bone in his womanising body. Yes, he was
definitely `female driven’, but not in the politically correct ways
of Re-imagined Television. What to do, wondered the Re-imaginators?
Keep him as he was, with a twinkle in his eye, a stogie in his mouth,
a girl in every galaxy? This could not be. He would stick out like,
well like a jock strap in a drawer of thongs. Starbuck refused to be
re-imagined. It became the Great Dilemma. How to have your Starbuck
and delete him too?

Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Hamlet does not scan as
Hamletta. Nor does Han Solo as Han Sally. Faceman is not the same as
Facewoman. Nor does a Stardoe a Starbuck make. Men hand out cigars.
Women `hand out’ babies. And thus the world, for thousands of years,
has gone round.

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/home/articles-readarticle.php?nid=5

4 Likes

Yeah, same here. I can’t even for this.

Edit: Ninja’d by DrNobelDynamite

It’s about time Crichton and Aeryn’s kids should be tooling around the galaxy, maybe under the watcful eye of Jothee!

1 Like

I’m normally not big on reboots, but I could never watch the Syfy series because of the shakeycam. Like, literally after a few minutes, I have to turn it off. Maybe it gets better after the first ten minutes, I don’t know. If they make the new one without that, I’ll give it a try.

3 Likes

Great minds, and all that. I’m just impressed that Dirk Benedict is only the 2nd biggest asshole to come out of the A-Team.

1 Like

I’m listening. . . .

Yeah?

I’m smelling “greenlit” all the way!

6 Likes

What Starbuck? That is clearly Templeton “Faceman” Peck on the left.

1 Like

Just because he’s a butthurt misogynist doesn’t mean he can’t appreciate a meme-able opportunity for coffee.

5 Likes

T I G H
Saul%20Tigh

(FTFY)

11 Likes

There’s certainly still some degree of religious conflict throughout the season by virtue of the fact that the primary antagonist is a monotheist in charge of a terrorist cell. That said, the show was generally more interested in the “what is humanity” angle (whether you feel like that was also a theme that got beaten into the ground in BSG is up to you), and exploring the relationships between various people (father/son, husband/wife, etc.) in the wake of a tragedy.

Setting the themes aside, I enjoyed Caprica for the work it did to flesh out the world of the Twelve Colonies, and Bear McCreary’s soundtrack was spectacular throughout. It’s worth a watch just for the music, IMO. I can’t think of anywhere else on TV where you can hear a radio playing a rap song in classical Greek. He also wrote blog entries delving into the music he composed for each episode as they aired, which was a cool peek behind the curtain.

2 Likes

Still no love eh…

6 Likes

Which one is the first? Peppard?

Dwight Schultz is a grade-A right-wing loon. He’s buddies with Michael Savage and tried for a few years to get into the conservative AM radio circuit, but I don’t think it took.

2 Likes