YouTube accused of refusing to remove scam ads featuring deepfaked Elon Musk: "We found that the ad doesn’t go against Google’s policies"

Originally published at: YouTube accused of refusing to remove scam ads featuring deepfaked Elon Musk: "We found that the ad doesn't go against Google's policies" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I don’t like the guy but I hope Elon Musk sues them and wins.

7 Likes

I saw it, reported it and got the same response.

8 Likes

How dare they! Elon’s face should only be used to promote Elon’s scams to Elon’s suckers.

13 Likes

The problem is that if they promise to stop things like this and they can’t do it, they will be sued. If they promise to do it and they do, they will be sued. If they promise nothing and still do it, they will be sued.

The only course of action where they won’t be sued is to promise nothing and do nothing.

7 Likes

Well, we had a nice run.

8 Likes

As it turns out there is a whole category in YouTubes ad system for Get-Rich-Quick schemes

That’s quite something. An approved dedicated category for scams. When are people going to understand that the only way one gets rich quick in America is when a wealthy relative who included one in their will dies?

Some variation on that has been running through my mind on a daily basis lately.

6 Likes

So when we report something on youtube, are we just asking an AI to turn on its brethren?

3 Likes

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

6 Likes

Another reason to use uBlock. :confused:

3 Likes

Huh. I’ve been reporting similar ads for months and never received a response.

2 Likes

I have my ad settings as not allowing targeted ads, which results in me not being able to block distasteful ads or scams.

2 Likes

Donald Trump says he’s going to give me gold! for free!
It’s got to be a scam. I don’t think Donald has any gold, plus if he did he certainly wouldn’t be giving it away. He’s got too many bills to pay

2 Likes

And while YouTube is incredibly guilty of these things. Let’s not forget to mention all of the sidebar ads on nearly every website with scam cures for tinnitus and other BS

4 Likes

This definitely seems like one of those “no good guys” scenarios, regardless of how much we all like to see Elmo get comeupped.

5 Likes

I saw one with a deepfake Joe Rogan and Ben Shapiro selling some scam products too. As much as I am almost compelled to say “if someone is gullible enough to fall for that sort of advertising they almost deserve to be duped” I still think it is a huge failure that a company as big as Google/youtube is allowing such scams.

4 Likes

The end result of decades of algorithms and fake AI. No need to moderate, let the tools automate all responses and here we are.

4 Likes

Hmmm, I wonder why these scams are suddenly proliferating even faster? :thinking:

Thats Why Kill Count GIF by Dead Meat James

5 Likes
8 Likes

Perhaps Elon and Sundar Pichai can get in the ring to fight it out instead of Zuckerberg. Or Zuckerberg could be waiting on the ropes to tap in?

2 Likes