Yum and Double Yum, They Need to Sell These In the USA

Personally i think that’s the kind of approach more vegan and gluten free places need to take. If you really think about it we eat stuff that is considered vegan and/or gluten free all the time but because it’s not explicitly pointed out we don’t notice and have the opportunity to sneer at said options.

I see you & raise you.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5khvHGEzcgw/U43xZUvaa-I/AAAAAAAAdXA/6MH8wWBMJ44/s1600/krispy-kreme-brownie-batter-donut-01

1 Like

Wait whut? That looks amazing. Oh I see, its icing on a bun innit?

But srsly, the iced bun is a British phenomenon and is as pathetic and underwhelming as it looks.

In Venezuela (don’t know about other countries) we have a staple in every bakery. It’s a fairly simple slightly sweet bread with sugar on top, it’s really good and people generally enjoy it with coffee. That sounds way more appetizing than plain bread with icing on top, seems lazy and boring.

6 Likes

Kan(e)elbrötchen <3

(sweet rolls made of yeast dough with milk, baked with a sugar/cinnamon coating)

1 Like

Pretty sure i’ve seen those :slight_smile: i’m not big on cinnamon most of the time so i haven’t tried one.

Wha? There’s a general “unpopular opinions” thread? Sign me up. I’ll never read it but I’ll post like a mo-fo.

5 Likes

it’s a rather popular thread *shrug*

2 Likes

There’ll always be an England.

2 Likes

One of these days I’m having an iced bun full of jellied eels with an accompaniment of gentleman’s relish. YUM

2 Likes

One of those things is not like the other.

4 Likes

Kippers and custard, with a side of gentleman’s relish.

The relish is to take the taste of the other stuff away. Like, the nuclear option.

Quite so. I always thought that calling it ‘relish’ was a presumption on their part. :innocent:

Ah, it appears @miasm agrees…

2 Likes

I wish there was a Spotify channel dedicated solely to catchy jingles like this, because I would listen the shit out of it.

1 Like

I was quite relieved when it turned out to be something as innocuous as anchovy paste.

2 Likes

Hmm. Yep. I would eat that.

2 Likes

I’ve gone there with a vegan friend, who was absolutely horrified.

Skyline can be easily imitated IME. However, most people think there’s cocoa powder in it, and there really isn’t, so the trick is to not use cocoa powder.

2 Likes

There is cinnamon, right? That and it’s served over spaghetti… which is also unusual.

2 Likes

Yes, it has cinnamon and nutmeg. Not sure about cloves and allspice, maybe small amounts of each to taste. No cocoa powder. It’s basically ground beef, spiced like chili but without the high heat, and with an additional cinnamon spice blend worked in. It’s served over spaghetti or a baked potato, with some combination of beans, cheese, and raw onion.

3 Likes

We have a local chain here near DC called “Hard Times Cafe” that serves a version of it, with all of those things, ordered “5-way,” but you can order traditional Texas chili that way, too. My friend from Texas thinks it’s an atrocity.

2 Likes