šŸ–• šŸŠ šŸ¤” A Continuing Round-Up of Trumpian Events šŸ–• šŸŠ šŸ¤”

I know, right? I wake up this AM and see this shit:

7 Likes

Letā€™s see how the unmatched wisdom of Trump handles this.

6 Likes

I predict a whole lot of nothing, because clearly something something Hillary, Obama, Deep State, Democrats.

Or worse yet heā€™ll use this as an excuse to start a war in the region knowing full well that this would gain some popular support and distract from the impeachment inquiry. Since day 1 heā€™s practically been foaming at the mouth to start a new war somewhere to sate his fragile ego.

8 Likes

Not being snarky: I donā€™t think he cares at all.

Heā€™s been planning to do this for years; Gen. Mattis left in protest of this plan. Trumpā€™s stated concern is for US troops and our own land and if that causes a genocide, well, it seems he feels we shouldnā€™t have been there in the first place.

10 Likes

Iā€™d be interested if the 1000 or so US forces removed from Kurdish areas actually go home or are just reassigned to Afghanistan or some other place.

3 Likes

They have been telegraphing this specific move for years now, so this isnā€™t exactly a surprise. Plus, given their history with the Kurds in Turkey whoā€™ve been agitating for their own state for a very long time now, any Kurdish nationalist

And I kind of take exception to people seconding guessing experts who arenā€™t in the hard sciences. Social science might not be entirely scientific, as it involves people, but people in those fields do ACTUAL research to back up possible outcomes. These arenā€™t just guesses and opinions that people are going on, this is actual research in history and current political/social structures that can help guide this work. Iā€™m getting a little sick of being told over and over again itā€™s not as valuable as others kinds of knowledge. I know thatā€™s not what youā€™re saying here, but there are plenty of people who put scare quotes around the title of experts for these kinds of fields, and the entire reason for doing so is to discredit them. Itā€™s a more acceptable form of anti-intellectualism, I think.

To gain a strategic advantage at home, with regards to ginning up nationalist support for other policies, and to deflect deficiencies with the regime onto other groups. Itā€™s the same old authoritarian tactics being used once again.

I do get what you mean, though. From my own point of view, it makes no sense at all. But then again, I donā€™t think you or I spend our days figuring out how we can profit off the misery of others, while thatā€™s the authoritarian mindset in a nutshell.

12 Likes

Given what Iā€™ve read or heard about how those US forces feel about 1. their Kurdish allies and 2. the order to abandon them, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they have ā€œchronic transportation difficultiesā€ that require them to stay and stand with the Kurds. Or that they take leave and decide to vacation in Northern Syria.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can see how what I wrote would bring up bad feelings about people who suggest that history (or any other field of study) isnā€™t meaningful because it isnā€™t reproducable the way physics is. Sorry.

The distinction I meant to make wasnā€™t physicists vs historians. It was people who do real research to come up with honest conclusions and are honest about the reliability of those conclusions vs people who inform the political consensus who likely have agendas that are more important to them than truth-telling. I drew that using the easy mental frame of a dichotomy between chemists and TV pundits. I have a genuine ambivalence about where to put intelligence officials in the model.

For me the real disconnect comes in that I think Iā€™m actually very good at thinking of how to profit off the misery of others, and itā€™s hard for me to understand how someone could be very good at that without that same skill allowing them to see why they shouldnā€™t do that. Ultimately in the prisonerā€™s dilemma everyone should just cooperate.

But Iā€™m reminded of the slime mold that grew into the shape of the Tokyo subway system. Authoritarians who seem to have a knack for profiting off the misery of others are probably mostly stupid as fuck.

13 Likes
4 Likes

And I knew thatā€™s not what you meant, too, so no hard feelings. But there is a lot of that going around. Iā€™m not just talking about historians, either, as our job is really not predicting the future. That is much more in the field of sociologists and political scientists. Generally speaking, I find the entire line of thinking that all that happens is that people make up opinions to be coming from a wildly uninformed place, which I know youā€™re not.

Sure. And generally speaking, a chemist talking about chemistry vs. a rando news pundit, most people will more than likely assume the chemist has more to say on that issue than old rando. But there is far less respect given to social sciences on TV, generally speaking.

Doesnā€™t that depend on the intelligence official? A bureaucratic official, with no political ties to a particular administration is likely more reliable than a pure political appointee. And we still have to focus on bias there, but there are going to be different kind of biases at play - one thatā€™s specifically politically motivated and one that is more in line with a kind of status quo mindset. None of us are free from bias, but someone who is a political appointee is just that - there to express the view point of the administration (which ever party it is). In theory at least, a bureaucratic intelligence official has long term stability with their job, and are there to serve the the system itself (pledging an oath to the constitution, etc). It really comes down to being to evaluate the individual on their own merits and accepting some level of bias, because we all have bias.

Bureaucratic intelligence officials have their own biases, of course, that we should most certainly criticize, but that comes with a larger criticism of the system itself. And some do come through in a defense of whatā€™s right - Daniel Ellsberg is a great example of that.

Individualism is a hell of a drug? The mind set of doing whatever you need to do to get ahead and profit off any given situation is part of reinforcing the hierarchies we live within, I think. If you see everyone else as competition instead of fellow human beings, itā€™s easy to fuck them over.

8 Likes

Waiting for Republicans to finally turn on Trump after the latest betrayal and disaster:

9 Likes

May I interest you in a cemetery plot?

Do you want some food and water while you wait?

8 Likes

He just thinks heā€™s a congressman, when heā€™s really just Mr. Green Jeans, growing weed for the kiddies around him.

Looong wait there, Spanky.

2 Likes

When itā€™s going great, polls edition:

11 Likes

There is a little slice of southern Turkey, that was taken from them in the armistice following WWI, when the area was divided among the British and French and new borders were drawn up - just a thin wedge. The Turks have wanted this little piece of land back ever since. Killing the Kurds is a dual windfall for them. (See Sykesā€“Picot Agreement):

4 Likes

Itā€™s not just me, right, Jim Jordan on the left there is looking really, really tired in these TV appearances to defend Trump?

5 Likes

Itā€™s gotta be emotionally draining having your soul sucked out through your unmentionables on a daily basis by a guy who still wouldnā€™t piss on you if you were on fire.

6 Likes

To be fair, pissing on people might be something Trump would do even if they werenā€™t on fire (allegedly).

7 Likes

Agree on principle, because thatā€™s you, me and a thousand and 1 mutants reading this and trying to relate. But on the level that it was those peopleā€™s personal choice to ink a deal with Satan Himself, they get what they signed up for. So, no sympathy from me. Not even sure they had souls to begin with. I, like the rest of us, just want them all gone.

2 Likes