After wins, Biden's job approval ticks up

Originally published at: After wins, Biden's job approval ticks up | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Combined with widespread opposition to the GQP’s continued efforts to limit reproductive freedoms, the boost from these wins gives me slightly more hope for the midterms.

24 Likes

How’s about that. Delivering material benefits for the 99% is the path to popularity, not chasing after the mythical moderate middle.

It’s almost as if people care about their own economic situation more than whatever feverishly divisive cultural issue the talking heads are yelling about today.

24 Likes

In sports, it’s often called “chasing the game” when a team lets their opposition dictate the pace and style of play.

Obama was very good at avoiding that trap. He always kept it about his plans and their execution. Biden is starting to clue into it; but it helps when the media slow their outrage-generation cycle to cover real news instead of the latest GOP-invented scare.

23 Likes

Dark Brandon is my new favorite internet meme!!! ^____^

5 Likes

It’s interesting and promising to see that the biggest bump in approval was among Independents. Like the man below says the Dems were gonna vote Dem no matter what, so getting that Independent approval up is a big deal.

13 Likes

If you look at his accomplishments, I’d argue that Biden’s gotten more Progressive gains in a year and a half than Obama achieved in his first 4 years. Heck, at this point, Obama was massively increasing our forces in Afghanistan… the war Biden ended in under six months in office (and lost most of his popularity for).

14 Likes

I get you—I’m not in the poor house—but this remark is a great example of how people just have no idea just how wealthy the usual suspects of TV and daily newspaper punditry are. Chris Cillizza, for example, bosts of being paid “7 figures” a year by CNN for opinions such as his latest, “Mar A Lago raid was a win for Trump.”

When they sneer at this debt relief, as many have, it’s an important and largely unmentioned context that many of them are rich people being implicitly presented as experiencing and understanding the lives of the everyday folks upon whom they comment.

So no, I don’t count myself among that… well, it isn’t a crowd. There are maybe a dozen or three in the “pareto principle” quintile.

30 Likes

Well said.
Also, re: student debt relief, when most of the members of Senate were attending college and/or university, a semester’s tuition cost about the same as that semester’s books. (If they went in-state, to a state university, but still.)
They can’t and don’t care to relate to today’s students.

23 Likes
5 Likes

The movie Don’t Look Up did a good job showing it. The daytime show host played by Cate Blanchett was capital-W Wealthy - bicoastal homes, vacation homes in old-money resort areas like Martha’s Vineyard, chauffeurs, private jet. Not the kind of “worker” most people think of.

13 Likes

The usual suspects need scalding with boiling oil and throwing in the pit full of hungry hyenas. I know, I know, there will be screaming and outrage, but it’s for the best, trust me.

13 Likes

We’re just going to ignore the hyenas’ complaints about this situation?

4 Likes

Does job approval even really matter right now? Democrats may not be happy with Biden’s performance but nobody’s gonna say, “I bet President DeSantis would be better” or “I bet a Republican controlled Congress would do a better job!”

7 Likes

I think it’s more a matter of deciding whether to vote at all. Low approval leads to lower turnout among fair weather supporters and higher turnout among the other side.

11 Likes

They know what they did.

Suspicious Weighing Options GIF by Law & Order

9 Likes

The hyena lobby approves of this plan.

4 Likes

Indeed - I’m all ready to buy my Lets Go Dark Brandon merch.

3 Likes

I don’t know that many are using opinion polls right now to make this decision. If you’re paying even the bare minimum of attention you should know that now is not the time to be apathetic.

8 Likes

These elections hinge on a few thousand votes here and there. It’s not a matter of what the people want; it’s a matter of turnout. And these support polls are gauging how likely the tiny portion of semi-apathetic voters who ultimately decide outcomes are going to go.

7 Likes