Against all evidence, city of Savannah claims googly eyes glued to Revolutionary War statue are "not funny"

Googly eyes make even dubious vegetables better.

19 Likes

If only folks could see eye to eye! If they would meet in the middle, they’d have a unibrow.

7 Likes

Tired: Googly eyes on Revolutionary War monuments.

Wired: Enameled red clown noses welded onto Confederate war memorials.

15 Likes

Looking at the photo of it, I agree. But I can imagine myself in the following context: I’m walking along near the statue. I’ve seen it before – perhaps many times – and it’s become ubiquitous to the point where it’s become invisible. Then I look up and…

… that’s when I bust out laughing.

9 Likes

But it worked for Shakespeare!

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I do think that the fact the he was a Revolutionary War commander, and not a Confederate Civil War commander, makes some small amount of difference here. I think if he were CSA, he would be more fair game.

something can be hilarious and a great political statement and still a crime, alas, i never get why they always have the need to insist any crime is “not funny” because that simply is not true.

in this case i say a forgivable crime if done in a way that is easily removed and doesn’t damage property, because it has artistic, humor, and political merit and makes a statement.

i could see how this is going to get old if you work at a park and every ahole who thinks they are clever and sees this shit on instagram copies it on any statue…

8 Likes

This picture reminded me of that scene of the movie " Interview with the vampire", when the short vampire was explaining the new vampire powers to the tall vampire (vampiresplaining?) Suddenly a statue opens its eyes and faces the two bloodsuckers.

2 Likes

Looks like someone’s holding a gun up to it:

"Yam I under arrest?
“Of gourd you are.”

7 Likes

I always thought it was sarcasm…

1 Like

surely it is potty humor, no? :poop:

isn’t it time we all lay to rest the myth that base/crass/lowbrow humor is LESS funny?
it is people who complain about other people’s humor that are the real experts on what is funny. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

3 Likes

11 Likes

“Low” doesn’t mean it’s not funny. :joy:

2 Likes

Googly eyes are almost always funny, and do no real damage.

5 Likes

Ah yes, the “becoming a vampire is like getting really high, but then when it wears off you’re left sitting in a decaying Louisiana mansion for eternity with your dealer” scene.

Anne Rice was pretty weird, and that movie was startlingly faithful to some of her weirdness.

5 Likes

Oh come on, seeing that picture caused me to laugh out loud, a rare occasion during this time of darkness.
d827fe112256adc7cb4eee6e884754e0

8 Likes

Lowbrow in the low country?

1 Like

Of course.

Spotted in Cardiff earlier this year (not googly eyes, but not ‘stock’ either):

14 Likes