Alabamians explain why they are voting for Roy Moore

Very relevant.

4 Likes

“My grandmother, at thirteen,was married. At fifteen had two children, a job and a husband…”

11 Likes

'murica in a nut shell.

4 Likes

is this the designated protest corner where we let our bigoted stereotypes about Southern “white trash” hang out?

Normally I agree, but as a son of the South, I would like my self-hatred to be indulged today.

Quentin Compson, Absalom, Absalom!

“I dont hate it,” Quentin said, quickly, at once, immediately; “I dont hate it,” he said. I dont hate it he thought, panting in the cold air, the iron New England dark: I dont. I dont! I dont hate it! I dont hate it!

edited for typos

7 Likes

Please stop it Alabama, FUCKING PLEASE!

10 Likes

Ouch. (also 9 characters.)

Well, they can, but the GOP paints the Dems morality as abortion and gay rights which they say are the antithesis of their god based morality. How do the Dems sell their principles as Superior?

1 Like

Making excuses for a child molester means you’re a bad person. Just like a cop who doesn’t tattle on his murderous partner is a bad cop. Same kind of deal.

15 Likes

Channel 4 News here in the UK just did a report on Roy Moore. One woman was interviewed saying that her grandmother was married at fourteen and it was perfectly okay because girls that age were considered to be adults.

3 Likes

My theory as to this acceptance of immoral behavior comes down to the need/drive of people to be able to inflict their will on others because they see all social interactions as zero sum. They can’t imagine that you can have legal abortion while having the members of your part of society abstaining from its use (and apply that concept to everything from swearing to being gay then you’ll get the picture). It’s like a contradiction in their mind to leave others alone in their lives even when it’s contrary in how you’d live yours.

7 Likes

Ah yes, someone who isn’t a child molesting religious fundamentalist bigot is just as evil and bad as someone who is a rapist.

6 Likes

Exactly. Alabama to most northerners is the quickest way to get to Florida.

11 Likes
9 Likes

IMO the right to choose and defense of gay rights are defacto morality superior positions. Despite their faults, the Dem’s are the only mainstream party that supports those and other progressive social values (multiculturalism, true religious freedom, feminism). If they sacrifice those to win elections, what’s the point? They support gay marriage and the right to have an abortion… that those positions are seen as amoral to religious voters is an unfortunate reality. Do you think there’s a better tactical strategy to sell those values? (earnest question)

4 Likes

Its almost poetic that one person said: “if you keep voting for someone who makes you worse and worse, do you call that smart or stupid”
I guess they think that they are both doing well (against the evidence) and are not stupid.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting that the Dems position is not morally superior, by my judgment, nor that they should compromise on those. But they are vulnerable to be painted as immoral, anti religion by taking these positions.

I’m asking you how do you resolve different values of moral standards in order to beat the GOP? Because I don’t think the Dems can do it. They will have better luck by proving how the GOP screws them in taxes and social services, and move left to be the party of the poor and working class.

4 Likes

DPcQiFKUQAAN2cS

12 Likes

Look, If I had a 14 year old daughter I should be happy if she is molested by a D.A or a Doctor as It’s just good christian values and morals …

Man, fuck it. Just trying to deploy snark and extreme sarcasm I just can’t even.

This is fucked up no matter how you look a it. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

tumblr_inline_o7ldh7nQYS1rl31vl_500

17 Likes

Yea I think that’s the cost of being progressive. I think they should try harder to court less conservative churches and try to fracture the evangelical block. I’m sure they’re already doing that, but that’s not the narrative we hear.

I see what you mean now and agree 100%… Their messaging is failing miserably, while the GOP have succeeded in convincing the poor that their interests align with the 1% time and again. The only real solution would be if there were constitutional amendments protecting abortion and gay marriage, then those wedge issues would be off the table. That sounds basically impossible at this point.

3 Likes