Area woman has black husband

This reminds me of Rosanne “Trash-Barge” Barr blaming her various racist episodes on medication. Uhu, sure.

7 Likes

I struggle to see why this seems to be a difficult concept to grasp, given the history of white women weaponizing that whiteness in ways that have killed literally thousands of black men over the years. This is why a historical perspective on these issues matters, because lynching based on claims by white women (or made on behalf of white women to justify lynchings) continues to be a problem in the modern day. She knows exactly what she’s doing by her actions here. She did something shitty and racist, thought she could get away with it, and when called out, she does the exact thing she knows will protect her, which is to cry in public. Does it suck to be called out for your bad behavior? Of course. Does that mean you get a pass when you cry? Fuck no.

This guy filming is not the bad actor here, whether or not he should have followed her back.

17 Likes

Wish in one hand…

(Hint; this about more than your opinion and what you want.)

Word; let me say a name, for example:

Emmett Till

This has been happening since long before slavery ended.

13 Likes

Well, but see, he supports BLM, so… /s

7 Likes

The word choices can’t be understated here. She may indeed be married to and love her black husband. She may not even have any overt animus towards POC. But she chose to use race as a weapon. She chose to use her privilege to try to hurt someone without it. She keeps saying “you don’t know me”, but actions speak louder than feelings.

8 Likes

Great response. I agree, strong, immediate stands must be taken. However I think a percentage of this is born out of an intent to create a viral moment out of retribution. That’s perhaps what we don’t need more of. The internet is forever. I can simultaneously appreciate how a measured response in this guy’s position is difficult.

Yes, I can totally feel the buttresses from here…

6 Likes

The video is her backing up and pulling away. I don’t see a video of her calling him the N-word. The eyewitness accounts seem to be accounts of her breakdown.

I don’t want to argue about this on the Internet. This just seems different than the woman in Central Park.

And yet… here you are, front and center.

9 Likes

Lots of black men have been killed by karens like her lying about them looking at her crossways.

Which is worse?

12 Likes

It’s not about retribution. it’s about fixing this god damn miserable condition that exists on this planet that far too many of our fellow human beings have to live through on a daily basis for existing with the “wrong” skin color.

Not nearly as much as we seem to think. That’s our own sense of standing atop history talking.

The second he starts filming. He also has eye witnesses who back up his account.

Yet you made an account to do just that. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

Also, even if he did something wrong - I agree following wasn’t a wise decision but I also get that politely asking not to be treated as subhuman has manifestly failed - it still wouldn’t excuse, let alone justify, her wrongs.

6 Likes

that anything anyone does ever won’t possibly have catastrophic negative consequences, so we should all just quietly sit in our locked houses in the dark. Right?

8 Likes

Let’s be fair, now; the person in question resuscitated a long dormant, mostly empty account in order to argue on the internet about racism.

11 Likes

Oh, my bad! Thanks for the correction… still.

7 Likes

Even as an untrained amateur digital archivist, this is demonstrably false, and is getting falser all the time. And even in the context of weaponized internet mobs that long outlast the cycle of virality that will unrelentingly shove this story under the rug by the end of the week, Karen here doesn’t fit the profile of the sort of person the internet likes to pursue relentlessly. Odds are actually far better that the guy who posted the video will be the one who has to deal with any lasting long-term repercussions for his actions, because the internet mob actually prefers to go after people who speak out against the status quo.

12 Likes

No white woman has been killed by it

I don’t think many would agree the bar should be death. Do you?

I agree, however to Mindy and other’s point that luxury isn’t afforded to minorities. The bar is set at violence or death as a default. I say this not wishing this woman harm in any way to be perfectly clear, i don’t know what the ramifications of this will be on her going forward but the odds will likely still be on her side. I think she’ll be ok and at the very least i honestly and sincerely wish that she changes her life for the better.

14 Likes

For everyone who isnt White (and usually rich)?

Absolutely; ‘the bar’ is often resting on our fucking windpipes

12 Likes

That seems to be the bar for Black men in America. As a white woman, I never walk out the door thinking I’ll be killed randomly for existing, no matter what I did.

And once again, white women are regularly rehabilitated rather quickly. It was about month before the woman in the dog park was getting a sympathetic write up in the NYT.

This.

There is so much information that it’s hard to keep up, and tons of data and information can be wiped out with the flick of a button, too.

12 Likes