Badass Space Dragon 2.0 - Round 5 - Severance

Yee-haw! @messana Lazlo, you plucky ssscuttlin’ arthropod! That was a hell of a bet you made, and I’m here to pay off your investment! Lessssee…

b50 from you… going rate ssseemsss to be 10%, but howzabout we sssweeten that a bit… sssay, a payback of b68.8 to you?

And that would leave me with b90. I’m feeling pretty gritty nowadaysss, Laz, but I feel like sssome easy money would be ussseful about now… my hull condition ain’t a whole lot better than yoursss. I wasss thinking about maybe doing b80 worth of hull repair and buying into Mission 2 for a lucrative chapeau run… or perhapsss peashooting sssome dronesss for even more.

But before I commit, I wanna make sssure we’re sssquare, you and I. What sssay you?

4 Likes

Here is where it went wrong: (In round 4 thread)

@inqydesu Captain Horatio Alger requests b17.0 for mission 3 (Disbursement will be 40, as Captain Alger already transferred b23.0 to Natasha)
@ratel Captain Jacques b17.0 for mission 3

The two were swapped.

I think the community bank needs to help out Captain Jacques as a matter of priority, should he desire.

1 Like
+ BROWF TO ALL FRIENDLY CAPTAINS +

“Unizone’s gone bat-country on us all. I’ve got debt-bots nipping at my hull. My BAMBI is stalling negotiations with them. If I had 77b I’d pay them off, but I’m also unable fund a full repair to fight them off. The potential 60HP I could suffer fighting them means it’s better for me to pay them off. I need at least a 77b loan.”

“I can’t take Mission 1 either – the Cosmosword only has 51HP remaining. A full repair is not possible, as the mission parameters prevent using Ella’s mechanikers.”

“Mission 4 is our only hope of turning a profit. The more HP I can repair, the more drones we can battle.”

“A full repair of 48HP will cost 100b. I’d then be able to chase 5~7 drones, for a hopefully ~240b + bonuses return. Without the full repair, I can maybe, maybe make 3~4 drones, for ~160b?”

“For the Cosmosword to stay in business, we need 77b, but ideally 177b. Community bank, help me out please! Name your terms! That goes for private loan sharks, erm ships, too.”

+ TRANSMISSION SENT +

@patrace, can we just ignore the drones? Or will they open fire if we start a mission without paying them off, leaving us no choice to fight them?

4 Likes

Yep, Drones are a bonus! :+1:

Nope, they’re just after their target (although I suppose a captain could help in other ways.)

Most likely, it will be gone. They don’t owe enough that it’s worth tracking them down twice.

2 Likes

Spill some drinks? :beers:

Drones are a special bonus for Unizone debtors and will stack on mission damage if they aren’t paid off.

1 Like

@bizmail_public @davide405

Saul Slider, Space Lizard Accountant at your service.

You’ll notice my boss chipped into this banking experiment. He thinks it’ll be good for commerce, natch. Anywho, he told me to send a holo-gram over and see what we can do to tidy up those books… because kid, I ain’t seen books this smelly since I worked for the Sea King on Sandfish VI… or VII? Aww… I don’t even remember, they all smell the same. You know smell travels in particles? Disgusting.

So let’s start with the summary, great idea but that’s the sort of thing the treasurer needs to be doing. If you’ve got your secretary or whatnot (@bizmail_public) telling people what numbers are what, you’re just adding to the confusion. Only the actions taken by the account owner matter in the end.

Let’s look at the ledger posts number 208 and number 210. Now, this is ugly. Left some serious doubts about @davide405’s actions and intent. Lot’s of room for embezzlement. I don’t judge, everyone skims a little, just make sure you know where the cash is coming from and how much you’ve got floating. Particles. You know I smell with my tongue?

So here, look at this @Ratel entry, only b17 is ever mentioned as a disbursement from the bank. @inqydesu asked for an identical amount so what I’m thinking happened is the wires got crossed and the b40 went to the wrong cat or lobster or whatever.

Now, here’s a confusing disbursement to @SteampunkBanana by @davide405:

“Since the two loans described below were for the same amount, I think we can safely assume the funds are now available for the second one.”

What is that? I mean, if I were interpreting this, I would have thought the banana kid was getting his b40 still. You clearly state the transfer is authorized and then roll out a pretty wishy washy retraction. Looks like that b40 would have left you and your ship so underfunded that Unizone auto-pilot kicked in.

Conclusion, I think you got off easy here with this run-a-bank scheme and it was a generous interpretation that kept you from getting carted off on auto-pilot. I recommend a more clear ledger if you’re going to continue to operate a bank and I’m going to strongly discourage my employer from investing further until you can demonstrate some effort at bookkeeping.

7 Likes

Natasha horrified and reviewing books to sort this error and set it right :frowning:

1 Like

Natasha hereby resign position as Treasurer of Community Bank, nominate Falkayn ( @bizmail_public ) as successor.

Last known status of community bank funds:

Natasha hereby abandon funds seeded to Community Bank (b50.0) and forever surrender any return on those bits.

Natasha apologize for incompetence in bookkeeping skills and hope personal shortcomings will not reflect upon honor of БПMК.

3 Likes

My records indicate that our dearly departed The Foil (@miasm) was the winner with 144 hits from damage and the still flying Pleiades 360 (@penguinchris) was in second place with 143, is there any way that you can confirm this? The salvage vehicle might be of use to someone, even as parts.

1 Like

Buy Buy Buy!

Folks, we’re selling out fast here at the Moral Flexibility Fire Sale, but here’s a reminder that we still have 4 EN available for the low, low price of 4 ST.

Might come in handy for anyone likely to be taking on drones (Unizone or otherwise) next time around. EN is always useful in a firefight!

But that’s not all!

For captains looking for a little more moolah who don’t need all that ST cluttering your ship up, your pal Captain Gap has a one time deal in place - I’ll buy 2 ST from you for b10.

Quirky waves his OmniPay™ at Captain Gap (@daneel).

“The Somewhat’ll take that EN off your hands, Sssskipper.”

clik

give 4ST to @daneel.

1 Like

Give 4EN to @DreamboatSkanky.

Nice to work with you, Captain Kumquat!

Remember, no refunds! But seriously, enjoy!

2 Likes

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/5/1/51c35268f9f2f03a56eb404905625a1cc30f9fcd.jpg

Natasha give mission orders for Round 5:

give @daneel 4ST

purchase from Ella’s Backwater Boutique:
• b20 Hull Repairs (10 HP) | x5 for total of 50 HP repaired

mission selection:

Ledger:

b209.8333 (starting funds)
-b100      (hull repairs)
-b10       (mission cost)
---------------------------
 b99.8333  (ending balance)

From each according to ability, to each according to need.

3 Likes

Quirky flicks his tongue, then raises his Drink-With-A-Little-Black-Flag to Captain Gap (@daneel). He slurps slowly, eyeing the OmniPay™ over the rim of the glass. It reads:

Balance: 32.9 sb.

That seems right. Better check. He bangs it on the bar. “Update”.

*68757869%68756tuy{fhfrtdscy6utrf}ub8o9Fhjf5ytu?=dhhglfdgda2qstghg + + +

“Okay, then.”

clik

“Liz-Tenant. Effect hull repairs on the Somewhat. Make ready for Mission 2.”

clik

Purchases and Mission Registration

b20 | Hull Repairs
b10 | Mission 2: Hats, Hats, Hats

2 Likes

Query: Mission 3 - Cube Root - Sand fish, stinking, consequences thereof?

It seems, my friends, that no longer have to worry about “accepting” Unizone missions (or paying for sub-standard parts), but their automated lackeys are intent on our tails. Do we want to save them, or cut them off?

##Kill the Masters

1 Like

I accept the nomination, with regret.

The bookkeeping error was mine, not yours. You did a fine job as Treasurer.

Thank you.

Natasha remains on the board, and will still be participating in lending decisions.

But to make loans, we need proposals. So please start making proposals.

Self-Interested Cooperation is the Foundation of All Success

3 Likes

Woah, woah, woah.

What’s this? Don Mondo shows up and muscles in, one quiet word from one of his associates, a quick “jump before you’re pushed” and suddenly our communal community bank is being run by Sneakiest Sneak in Charybdis 2013, old mucker of Mondo, Capt. David “Self-Interested” Falkayn. I bet he tries to authorize a loan for himself soon enough, arguing it’s in everyone’s interest.

You guys are lucky Natasha brought me onto the board before the putsch. I’ll keep things straight here. Now, where’d I leave that abacus…

8 Likes

I am pleased that Badass Bankers of Betelgeuse Beta is the kind of high-stakes financial drama that contains flowing locks whipping ominously in the wild winds of commerce.

7 Likes