Biden elected president

I realize this has been hard for people, especially the county and state-level administrators; they deserve a freakin’ medal for what they’ve done. But you know who this was really hard for? Donnie two scoops. I have relished every moment watching him get his ego overinflated on Tuesday night and then be ground down to a stump over 48 hours. Cinders and ashes!

19 Likes

I… we know that?

I can not stress enough how key she was to flipping GA… That woman is extraordinary!

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

Um. Fuck that noise. Plenty of people who say “y’all” just gave Biden an edge in the election here in GA… So can we FINALLY be done with this line that southerners are the problem, when this cancer you speak of is very much a national problem.

Never the less, it’s the truth. they might not see it that way or understand it that way, or even think it’s a bad thing (because they think it’s how things SHOULD be), but that’s how it is.

And if we can’t tell the truth we’re screwed. Giving up my rights to appease Trump voters will not fly. I suspect that POC (or most of them at least) agree with me on that.

We’re trying! :grimacing:

I think that’s the case, too. At least here.

31 Likes

Don’t worry. It’s a done deal. The analysis company that pretty much all the networks use for election info has called it for Biden. The networks just want to tease as much drama as possible.

9 Likes

After they fumigate the place. Probably with a NASA rocket engine test…

Engine test

17 Likes

Not quite fair! They have rules about not calling races that might end within the recount thresholds ( PA’s is .5%) and there are only a few ballots left to count. They can’t run with the obvious fact those remaining ballots are going to be so blue it’ll create that margin.

15 Likes

I know this is a little off-topic, but, can we remove New Balance from this list? I know why it’s here; I know the company gave money to Trump’s first campaign. I would prefer to support other brands. But, a large number of people with disabilities rely on New Balance shoes because they can accommodate a variety of custom orthotics, and they are available to ordinary people, off-the-shelf, without having to bill insurance for prescription shoes (yes, really).

This is one of those things that people just tend not to know, until they or their family member is disabled and living a disabled reality. I don’t want to call the outright rejection of New Balance ableist, because I don’t believe that’s your intention, but please do be careful about who you assign guilt by association. I do not like the political image of the brand, but I do need to be able to wear their shoes without having people assume I’m a bad person.

14 Likes

33 Likes

Ok, fair enough! (Your comment I mean, not mine)

1 Like

Well no, but because it isn’t true. I was going to say “technically” true, but that’s the only way this is true, technically. There’s no touchy-feely true, or emotionally true, or nearly true. It’s either done or it isn’t, and it isn’t done. I mean, I guess this isn’t “journalism” so who cares, but it looks kind of like journalism.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Hey, Y’all!

If it’s not “real” to you unless the mainstream press tells you so, start here:

8 Likes

The trick, I think, is to identify those who need to kept busy somehow. Remember how well de-Baathification worked in Iraq? That’s a mistake we don’t want to make. The Postmaster General? Absolutely – goodbye. Some others? You may want to find a confusing panel somewhere that will keep them reporting to work.

1 Like

True, but unless he has kompromat on them, they’re appointed for life. There are two main differences today:

• Bush managed to establish himself as the default winner right at the start, and the court was reluctant to flip that. There’s no sign that anyone is buying Trump’s “stolen election” baby rant other than the Maganites.
  • They’d have to flip a few states now for Trump to win, so even if they’d like Trump to win, he’s looking more like a lost cause as time goes on.
10 Likes

You do know that saying y’all is a feature of African-American Vernacular English, right?

21 Likes

No doubt. Share her face all over the place!

34 Likes

A Risk Limiting Audit (RLA) is a statistical process control which validates the accuracy of their counting process. It’s an excellent tool for the job.

In any election there may be difficulties where the the votes aren’t all counted accurately. Maybe one of the ballot scanners had a technical issue (either accidental or via deliberate tampering.) Or maybe there was a crooked election judge who didn’t run ballots for candidate X through the scanners. A full manual recount is time consuming, politically embarrassing, and very expensive, so nobody wants to do them needlessly. How do we have some kind of assurance that each precinct counted their votes accurately, without spending all that money on full recounts? RLAs.

The auditors randomly select a sample of all votes cast in a precinct. They must be randomly chosen from all available ballots, and not just taking the top 5% of the pile, or the ones that Judge Judy hand-picked. The auditors then validate each sample ballot manually (with different people checking and cross-checking.) They determine the percentages of the samples that actually voted for each candidate. If the percentages don’t match the reported outcome to within a specific threshold, that indicates there may have been a problem either in the original counting method, or in the random sample. Either way, any discrepancy triggers a full manual recount.

Can an RLA be off? Sure; there are valid reasons it could have a different outcome than the original count, including tampering by the auditors or simple bad luck in the random selection process. This is expected to happen in an certain percentage of RLAs, and results in a few extra manual recounts that may not have been needed. It’s still substantially cheaper than a full manual recount of all precincts.

An RLA doesn’t determine why the outcomes don’t match; it just gives a solid indicator of the confidence in the process, at a reasonable price and in a much shorter timeframe than a full manual recount.

31 Likes

I love the gap in her teeth!

19 Likes

I’m OK with this. I hope the Secret Service has to literally drag him out of the White House kicking and screaming.

17 Likes

they deliberately rejected a perfectly reasonable alternative vision for a more inclusive center-right republican party with the “autopsy 2012” document they made in favor of a ruthless strategy of vote suppression and gerrymndering.

for a tiny part of the republican coalition, if you can call it that, sure. it isn’t any large part of it though. the ruthless neglect of impoverished children, the separation of parents and children at the border, the callous neglect towards anyone who isn’t a part of the 0.001% would shame any christian who didn’t already have a tendency to racism and cruelty. i am known in my family as an avowed agnostic and yet i shamed one nephew of mine who opposes abortion into not voting for trump because of those things i just cited. he didn’t vote for biden but under the circumstances shifting him from trump to jorgensen was as close to a win as i was liable to get. additionally, i can tell you that my cousins who supported trump uniformly alternated between “god bless trump” social media posts and some of the most execrably racist memes out there.

23 Likes

Thanks for the in-depth explanation!

4 Likes