Biden suggests he may not run again

That’s because of crappy press coverage. Search for the word “news” and her name, and you’ll see all kinds of activity. I saw references to VP Harris’ involvement in three events over the past week.

The MSM is always focusing on people more in line with corporate interest. They have no interest in informing the public about what the current administration is doing, to the point that Biden’s last major speech wasn’t even broadcast on the big three networks. However, that remark on the pandemic is everywhere, when 45 made far worse gaffes on a daily basis.

This morning, I even saw a report about Hurricane Fiona and the crisis in confidence among the residents of Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria. However, it completely ignored who was in charge in 2017. That terrible response was par for the course during the rampant incompetence on display during 45’s administration. So, don’t expect coverage - we have to look for it, instead. :woman_shrugging:t4:

15 Likes

I think they were implying that W was effectively a useful idiot and everyone understood who really wielded power.

11 Likes

I went the other way, and assumed that they were humorously implying that W was effectively Cheney’s VP.

George HW Bush proves my original point-- he was all but invisible as Reagan’s VP. Other than the brief period after Reagan was shot and was recovering, he was basically non-existent for eight years.

5 Likes

If you intend to do something, then you have decided to do it. So I don’t really understand these words. What does “just an intention” mean?

But put me down as someone else who kind of sort of remembered something about Biden never planning to run for a second term to begin with.

1 Like

Maybe, “I intend to run, but there’s a good chance something will happen or come up that dissuades or prevents me from doing so.”

Or just, “I plan to now, but that’s still a long ways off, who knows what could change?”

9 Likes

Or at least the Iraqis were trying hard to make it so. /s

There were times when GWB stood up on his own and distinguished himself from Cheney, but they didn’t exactly make him look better. Like how Bush tried to enshrine a ban against same-sex marriage in the U.S. Constitution (which Cheney opposed as the father of a gay daughter).

6 Likes

How is that different from “I have decided to run, but there’s a good chance something will happen or come up that dissuades or prevents me from doing so.”

Those two sentences mean the same thing to me.

His use of tenses is also weird. “My intention IS that I WOULD.” And what remains to be seen? What his current intention is? Anywho.

1 Like

Ever read a verbatim transcript of yourself giving off-the-cuff commentary? It can be humbling. In context I think it’s pretty clear his comments can be interpreted as “I’m planning to run but nothing is set in stone.”

7 Likes

“I’m planning to” doesn’t seem much different to me from “I intend to” or "I have decided to (actually, it makes things seem ever so slightly more set in stone, as it implies the existence of an actual plan).

1 Like

I listened to that speech on NPR. I figured that despite their centrist leanings they at least would hear what Biden was saying. I was suriprised, then (or is the word appalled?) when their analysts came on and all they did was cluck about, “Wasn’t that speech even more divisive at a time when America needs to be brought together?” “Was it wise of Biden to call the other party by name?” “Will this speech turn off undecided voters?” and so on. Not one acknowledgement that Biden was saying, “Wake up, people, the Republican party is being hijacked by fascists!”

That said, I think it would have been a stronger speech if he hadn’t tacked on a list of his administration’s successes, which made it easy to dismiss the entire event as a “campaign speech.” Maybe it would have made no difference. Nobody heard it anyway.

11 Likes

Again, I think you may be trying to put too much effort into dissecting the precise word selection that went into an unscripted comment. The gist of the message seems clear enough to me: a stated intent to run for a second term that stops just short of full commitment.

6 Likes

I’ve been getting so tired of NPR lately. They go out of their way to present and amplify what every right-wing fascists crackpot has to say about anything, but never challenge it, never present alternative progressive viewpoints, and rarely correct or fact-check clear absurdities and just leave it there like it’s ‘two sides to every coin’. No, it’s insane fascist bullshit, easily disprovable lies, and overt attacks on our way of life and democracy. After a lifetime of enjoying NPR, something changed over the last handful of years with them. P.S. Steve Innskeep is the worst.

14 Likes

If it’s a straight Trump v DeSantis GOP primary, DeSantis will have the nomination and I suspect it won’t be close. If it’s a bunch of other not-quite-so-Trumpy folks and some moderate GOP and/or explicitly anti-Trump GOP folks who have zero chance whatsoever (Gov Hogan of Maryland, Liz Cheney) then I think Trump gets the nomination again.

1 Like

Can’t wait to fond out who this new candidate will be. It could be Jesus Christ himself and Repubs would still call him a woke snowflake who eats children.

3 Likes

wait and see rita ora GIF by America's Next Top Model

6 Likes

Well, we was the former head of the CIA. I guess the work training / culture stuck? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I totally agree. The comedic story we like to tell is that Cheney was in emporer in charge and the W was a complete doofus who was merely the guy they got to play the part of President.

I have no doubt that their political (and personal) relationship was more complicated than that, and that W’s domain was muchi more with the cultural and economic concerns and that Cheney was more interested in expanding the power of the executive branch itself and to expand the “American Empire” by all means available.

But the essential point is that Cheney had more power and influence within the executive branch than did anyone before or since – to the point where it often seemed like the “Cheney-Bush” administration. Which is why we all chuckled when Bush called himself “the decider”

5 Likes

Idk, I don’t see Trump’s legions of fans going for Diet Fascism when Classic Fascism is on the stage.

Sure, the donors would rather Trump fade. But Trump is the only thing that’s gotten the base this excited in years.

I could see a Pres/VP of Trump/DeSantis. But there’s also no way Trump would take the VP slot in any ticket. Not ever.

7 Likes

And I could definitely see a ticket with Trump/Desantis where Trump suffers “a little accident” not too long into his second term, because Desantis won’t wait around. Play with the psychos; get burnt.

4 Likes