Billionaire chronicles

There’s an old adage that often brings me comfort when the sight of my haggard, makeup-free face in the morning hits me like a horror movie jump-scare: “You’re not ugly, you’re just poor.” In other words, meeting the ridiculous beauty standards set by exorbitantly wealthy celebrities is extremely expensive, and unattainable to most people.

Kim Kardashian, a billionaire, apparently does not believe in this adage. In an interview with Allure published Thursday, in which Kardashian supposedly spills all the secrets about how she looks the way she does, Allure asks whether “she feels responsible, even guilty, for setting an unrealistic, unattainable beauty standard.” Kardashian responds, “If I’m doing it, it’s attainable.” In other words, to quote, well, Kim herself, just “get your ass up and work” if you want to look like her! If you want these surgically rendered proportions, just do some squats!

Of course, Kardashian’s own stories later in the interview contradict the notion that her look is “attainable” to all. When Allure asks about the criticisms she faced for boasting about losing 16 pounds to fit in Marilyn Monroe’s iconic dressat this year’s Met Gala, she responds: “If I was starving and doing it really unhealthy, I would say that, of course, that’s not a good message. But I had a nutritionist, I had a trainer.” These are not things everyone can afford, Kimberly!!

11 Likes

Kinda like the Lance Armstrong quote: “They say I have to be on something to win as much as I do. Yeah - I’m on a bike, 6 hours a day.”

Except Lance was doping the whole time…

13 Likes

Rotterdam Won’t Dismantle Historic Bridge to Let Jeff Bezos’ $500 Million Superyacht Pass

21 Likes
3 Likes

A very interesting history video involving Japan and it’s megarich families:

If only the US could pull itself together and do the same to its billionaires.

5 Likes

Kylie Jenner wiping away her tears
single-on-valentines

5 Likes

Perhaps let the air out of the tyres? That seems to work for some (poorer) people.

11 Likes
2 Likes
14 Likes
20 Likes

As usual, she’s not wrong!

10 Likes
10 Likes

On its voyage Tuesday morning, Bezos’ yacht was towed without its masts, which will be installed later, Der Spiegel reported.

Still absolutely insane they didn’t simply plan it that way from the start.

13 Likes

“But I don’t wanna removable masts!”
– Jeff B., sometime last year, probably.

6 Likes

Excited Wake Up GIF by Nickelodeon

4 Likes

Jeff almost had a city bend to his will and dismantle a historic bridge — that could be why it wasn’t planned that way from the start.

4 Likes
12 Likes
15 Likes

As a well-documented hater of superyachts I felt I had to read the whole thing, despite its considerable length.

This might be my new motto:

In a candid aside to a French documentarian, the American yachtsman Bill Duker said, “If the rest of the world learns what it’s like to live on a yacht like this, they’re gonna bring back the guillotine.”

Also, fuck you, you arrogant prick. Who doesn’t like Schnitzel?

The very largest yachts come from Dutch and German shipyards, which have experience in naval vessels, known as “gray boats.” But the majority of superyachts are built in Italy, partly because owners prefer to visit the Mediterranean during construction. (A British designer advises those who are weighing their choices to take the geography seriously, “unless you like schnitzel.”)

9 Likes