Billionaire chronicles

No, they mean it literally: impact, as from a cannon ball.

The East India Company was really good at cultural impact in that sense.

5 Likes

What good is a flat basketball?

5 Likes

A lead frisbeeā€¦

6 Likes

From the article:

But as a conservative who has long been skeptical of big government, I am coming to believe that confronting the rise of the Technocrats may necessitate a Theodore Roosevelt-like figurehead to rein in this threatā€”that may very well eclipse the threat of big government

Uhm, congratulations? You finally got to a point the rest of us realised decades ago?

5 Likes

interested rubbing hands GIF

10 Likes

1600 millionaires. Or they could crack down on 1.6 billionaires. :thinking:

(Iā€™m aware my math may not hold up to rigorous scrutiny, but I think Iā€™m right in principle.)

9 Likes

Maybe 160?

As long as they go after the billionaires!

8 Likes

Or crack down on one and cra down on another.

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

6 Likes

Republicans like to pretend they are the party of ā€œfiscal conservatismā€ but if you really want to be able to pay for the things the government does you need a strong, well-funded IRS to bring in the money.

Hope the Feds drop in on these guys like itā€™s ā€œGoodfellas.ā€

9 Likes

Right. It might take a lot more effort, but the results would be not only greater tax revenue, but a weakening of the billionairesā€™ political power.

8 Likes

Ah, I see where your misunderstanding lies.

They donā€™t want to pay, and they donā€™t want the government to do things. I mean, except for themselves and a select group of peers.

9 Likes

Spending more money on targeting rich tax dodgers would be a very efficient use of money- I posted this in another thread recently:

9 Likes
  1. Why?
  2. WTF?

3 Likes

Somethingā€¦ somethingā€¦pure hubris.

3 Likes

I mean, itā€™s nice of the palaeontologists to be concerned on behalf of the palaeoanthropologists whose discipline is actually the relevant one here, I suppose

1 Like

Because a palaeontologist has to work with the same group to understand why this is problematic? Palaeoanthropology is a branch of palaeontology (and anthropology). :confused:

1 Like

Not where I come from, but maybe other countries have other institutional divisions.

(Americans think archaeology is a part of anthropology, but that is a rant for another day)

2 Likes

Well, not all Americansā€¦ :laughing:

3 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes