Canada man goes on racist rant over parking space for his truck

Sadly, he’s not the only one. Our right-wing party is looking for a new leader after the last one got trounced, and, well:

Steven Blaney kicks off Conservative leadership campaign with proposed niqab ban

7 Likes

It was used in Toronto, but I haven’t heard it in 20 or 30 years. Haters have moved on to other races/religions.

5 Likes

13 Likes

Do we actually need to watch every recorded instance of someone being an asshole? The world has a lot of assholes in it, and sadly, they all have cellphones now. Sure, we should do what we can to reduce asshole behavior, but treating every random incident that floats by as really worthy of wide attention doesn’t do anything except make me feel depressed.

5 Likes

People love shit like this when it isn’t happening to them. Look at World Star Hip Hop and similar sites.

1 Like

I heard it growing up too. (Fairview Mall represent!)

And then again when I moved to Calgary in 1997, only this time it was my adult co-workers and not some kid on the playground about to get beat up for saying it.

You don’t have to go very far outside of the major cities to hear it today either… :confused:

3 Likes

It gets tiring, but there is something to be said for making people like him a culturally recognizable “type”. It would be nice if someone opened their mouth to do this and thought “Gosh, i don’t want to be that guy I saw on on the Internet.”

Does that happen? I dunno, probably not as much as I wish it did.

8 Likes

My point was less about legalities, and more about overt threats, vs toeing the line with plausible deniability. Many people would have little problem threatening to mess someone up.

Whether that is enough to be legally charged with making threats, I have no idea. Though we can’t lock him up for just being an asshole.

2 Likes

Naw, he’s our problem. Like every other country on Earth (the US for example), we have good and bad.

8 Likes

Friend of mine grew up where “packy” is short for “package store” (liquor store).

He and his wife were traveling in London and she says, loudly, “Before we go back to the hotel we should hit the packy.”

8 Likes

Google “Abbotsford racist”. This guy’s face is getting well known, I’m not in favour of public shaming in many cases, but here it would be a positive outcome in my books.

8 Likes

Luckily, since this was Canada, he was allowed to say “sorry” and make everything all better.

He strikes me as the kind of genius who’ll claim afterwards that he was only behaving that way because he was drunk.

So, this is filmed in Abbotsford, which is known to be a heavily Christian and conservative part of BC (it’s about 1 - 1.5 hours outside of Vancouver and it’s about as different as you can get). Abbotsford also borders on Surrey, which has a heavy Sikh population. My semi-informed guess here is that the victim is actually a Sikh, not a Hindu or from Pakistan (I may very well be wrong, but just going on probabilities here).

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure you need to understand the legal definition of a threat in order to be able to tiptoe around it.

1 Like

Drugs are a hell of a drug.

4 Likes

This made me remember another offensive Canadian - Men's rights meltdown at McDonalds - but on that thread there was a lot of defense of the guy, saying he was probably mentally ill and shouldn’t be shamed. I have no idea, just looked drunk to me, but it’s interesting that the behavior towards a woman was defended and people were really empathic toward the offender.
This guy here was way scarier, not trying to compare the two cases, just find it interesting. One of those things that make you go, Hmm.

I’m sure he’s Canadian, because he manages to angrily yell “have a nice day, sir” with no hint of sarcasm; rather it sounds very much like the sincere politeness Canadians are famous for. When the offensiveness of white supremacist bullshit collides with the inoffensiveness of Canadian manners, this bizarre tirade is the result.

10 Likes

I don’t see much of a defence for either man’s behaviour. They both strike me as being arseholes, with any booze or mental illness involved just disinhibiting them.

I really hope this guy tries to claim he was drunk and then promptly gets his license taken away (and maybe a little bonus time in the pokey) for driving under the influence.

Can we please spread this clip far and wide in the US? Perhaps the Trumpers will want to move to Canadia when their angry turnip loses…

4 Likes