Cesar Sayoc Jr., Florida man, arrested in pipe bomb case; van with 'right wing paraphernalia' seized

As clever euphemisms go, that one is:

Though it might be more accurate to say such folks have no moral compass at all, and that’s why they are so very lost.

7 Likes

What is this 20th-Century talk? These days we all have moral GPS units.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Will they still work if (when) the grid fails, though?

:wink:

3 Likes

All we had was a puddle, and we only had that right after it rained!

2 Likes

I did not know that. Certainly not how the story has ever been told in my hearing. Citation? (In my opinion, “nuts” is a funnier reponse.)

The USPS, being a Fed agency, very likely has incorporated classified US security service “tools” into their mail handling and tracking.

3 Likes

Well. Let’s think about the known details:

• He has been in trouble with the law before
  • They mentioned DNA evidence
  • The packages had stamps on them

I think they skipped the secret video footage when they realized he had licked the stamps, lol.

7 Likes

What are you talking about? They don’t lick stamps any more.

It might be the same for van stickers now too; those used to be a pain to lick.

3 Likes

ZOMG - an Encyclopedia Brown reference/spoof. Awesome…

2 Likes

I can’t tell if joking or not - but newer stamps are stickers. Sorta killed the whole used stamp collecting thing.

Eh, that is true. Pics of the envelopes do sure look self-adhesive. Envelope might be a lick-seal, or all the tape he used ended up with a fingerprint on it.

Lotta ways DNA could end up on the package, sealed by a layer on top.

1 Like

This is a temperature thing. When it’s cold enough, salt stops being able to affect the ice on the road. That’s when you break out the sand for grit traction. Or at least that’s what my dad taught me.

2 Likes

You don’t think driving around in that van, gathering bomb making materials would raise any sort of alarm bells or suspicion there in southern Florida?

2 Likes

during a faculty meeting at my previous school the meeting had devolved at one point to those parents who never have the ability to provide school supplies for their children and how they always seem to have a nice smartphone . . . the turn of the conversation really was offending me, first because of the simplistic attitude towards poverty it too and second because of the racial element that had started to crop up in it. so i took over that teacher’s rant and started loudly saying things like “yeah, and i bet they have a refrigerator and a stove in their kitchen and i bet they have running water too!” at which point some of those who had been drifting along with the other teacher’s statements looked up and did a “wait, what?” and the teacher that started it turned to me like she was going to say something and then saw the look in my face and stopped. after an awkward silence, the meeting moved on.

18 Likes

i think his moral compass point to “maga”.

8 Likes

Good on you.

One day I’ll tell you the tale of ‘the Bart Fare Evaders and the Concerned Person of Privilege who just had to call them out.’

12 Likes

that sounds like one of those anecdotes that has the potential to be both entertaining and appalling in equal measure :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Not so much ‘appalling’ as:

8 Likes

po-tay-to, po-tah-to

5 Likes