Church elder tried to pay for Grindr sex with Arby's card, say police

Truman State isn’t where you go in Missouri to Bible-thump (that’s everywhere else) and he’s an elder at a UCC church. Who knows what his personal demons are where internalized homophobia are concerned, but you could do a lot worse than the official UCC stance on LGBTQ issues.

For that matter, I don’t think we have any direct evidence he’s even in the closet.

8 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize

5 Likes

But Xeni!
What about the whores who would blow him for an Arby’s card???
Said the people who don’t want sex work to be a thing…
Nobody’s ever made it through college by earning a few extra dollars this way or that?
Honestly, the guy seems kinda nice to me.
They Arby’s card thing was obviously a joke. He even put LOL, which is advanced internet for a guy his age.
Now he’s a meme.

This criticism seems frankly unfair.

I can understand Arby’s trading at a rather unfavorable exchange rate vs. more prestigeous or desirable alternatives; but if they call it “the meat market” it seems frankly deceptive to suddenly turn and act like Arby’s isn’t legal tender there.

C’mon.

1 Like

“Ugh, what’s in this horsey sauce?”

5 Likes

The linked article says he’s an elder in the Church of Christ, which I think is not wholly condemnatory of homosexuality. Since each congregation is led by its own elders, without reference to a central authority, one hopes that he led his own congregation towards acceptance! (And if not, I bet he now wishes he had.)

Yeah, that part is just flat-out wrong and stops being funny, Arby’s notwithstanding.

9 Likes

I thought grindrs was one of those regional terms for a hoagie/hero/submarine sandwich!

3 Likes

“Some things are best left unsolved”
Nigel Tufnel

1 Like

I’ve certainly bought someone dinner, or made someone dinner, and sex happened and I didn’t feel like we engaged in prostitution. Yeah, Arby’s card is tacky, but still.

2 Likes

Of course offering an Arby’s card is the wholesome and in no way objectionable part of this story. But, if he were being punished for what he actually did wrong, being creepy and aggressive on sex/dating apps, then, like… how are you even supposed to use those apps? not harass people? get real!

I keep reading it as Kinksville and snickering…

3 Likes

my thought was, “obviously he likes hot meat!” so we were on the same page.

3 Likes

Something something “Arby’s Sauce” something something.

2 Likes

My dad was a Church of Christ pastor who got pushed out for being a bit too progressive. Now he’s part of an Episcopalian church that accepts LGBTQ. I think it’s up to the particular congregation and the elders/deacons.

9 Likes

Anyway, Arby’s is out. Soooo…

7 Likes

Not that.

5 Likes

They’re behind all those caravans of refugees. /s

1 Like

“Mr. Barry Cole Poyner, 57, of Kirksville, Missouri, was charged with a class B misdemeanor count of patronizing prostitution…”

Offering an Arby’s card certainly is patronizing.

3 Likes

I could really go for an Arby’s Big Montana right now. Sadly I’m not anyone’s type.

3 Likes

Nah. As a church elder this man used his white male privilege (as well as the privilege afforded gay men who pretend to be straight) to preach against and persecute other gay men, while himself being and doing exactly what he persecutes others for. In addition, he used his position of power as a professor to sexually harass and implicitly coerce sexual favors from his students. While I would wish he was prosecuted for his sexual harassment, and recognize that vice cops are the enforcers of the very persecution he led as a church elder, I have zero sympathy for him being taken down by the very power structure he worked to advance. Kapos are collaborators.

4 Likes