Cybertruck to be officially delivered today

With that tiny back bed; it kind of reminds me of the old Subaru Brat.

IMG_1199

IMG_1200

19 Likes

A completely useless pickup. As a kid I LOVED it.

11 Likes

I dunno. I’d always wanted one because even as a kid I realized I’d never be using it for big stuff like hauling construction materials, but would definitely use it for smaller things like art projects or things I didn’t want to dirty the upholstery with.

Of course, I have no idea how well it ran. If it ran half as good as my dad’s El Camino, I’d have been happy.

9 Likes

I gotta laugh when even media outlets (like the Times) take Elon seriously about this actually competing in the truck market. Nobody but nobody is cross-shopping an F-150, a Ram, or a Silverado against this thing. If they manage to actual get any sold to the public, it will only be to Elon-stans with more money than sense. At best, it’s an impractical, butt-ugly SUV that will be impossible to repair and will sound like a giant, hideous musical saw at highway speeds because of all the dumb, flat panels.

11 Likes

An anecdote: I knew a guy in high school who had one of these. It ran fine, until it didn’t: one night I took a ride with him & pointed out that his oil light was on, & that maybe he needed to check the oil. He countered, “nah, that oil light is always on.” A few weeks later, I found out that he’d had to replace the engine. Well, we were both right!

16 Likes

Oh, the same experience with a Volkswagen I bought from my godfather. His son was with me and said the exact same thing 30 minutes before the engine seized. :angry:

(They did replace the engine, though)

13 Likes

Better late than never. Curious to see these out in the wild. I’m happy that they chose to make such a unique design. Hope it goes well, but am not totally optimistic.

1 Like

Or the extended RV:

ARK_01

20 Likes

high quality GIF

14 Likes

“Unique” doesn’t equate “good.”

When almost every manufacturer in a given industry does something a certain way there is often a good reason why. This vehicle appears to disregard generations of institutional knowledge about everything from crumple zones to windshield wipers for no other reason than “Elon thought it would look cool.”

12 Likes

Just for the record, Elon goes by he/him. I guess ostensibly also “prosecute” but definitely not “they”. And it doesn’t sound like too many in the company were so happy about his choice.

9 Likes

… more aerodynamic when driven backwards

8 Likes

Not to mention being a deathtrap that shouldn’t be street-legal. I’m definitely on the side of better never than late.

11 Likes

Yeah, as soon as the Lightning hit, all the other EV truck manufacturers hung their heads. Not that it’s better; I have no idea. But they’ll sell a ton.

3 Likes

I guess it can double as a campfire, though.

6 Likes

I know someone who recently started working at Tesla. He says that the quiet consensus amongst the engineers and designers is that it’s the project to which no-one wants to get assigned.

The CyberTruck is the same expression of childish ego as his management of Xitter: “I own enough of this company that I can do whatever I please with it.”

13 Likes

There are also stories that Tesla engineers designed a more conventional pickup, which they would reveal to Musk if they couldn’t develop a production Cybertruck.

4 Likes

Not everyone needs full-sized beds for the stuff that they (occasionally) haul around, so sometimes small beds are just fine. And with the Brat it was easy to access the bed because the sides were flat and it wasn’t too high off the ground. But the Cybertruck bed is the worst of all combinations: too short to haul large objects, too high off the ground, tall sloped sides that make it very hard to reach into, plus the added, brand-new innovation of having a sloped bed cover that completely blocks the view out of the rear window.

16 Likes

I’m going to go on record and say that I like how it looks. However absolutely everything else about it, and Tesla, is a big nope.

80k for a range of 340 and it looks like hot trash. I’m guessing Rivian just gave a sigh of relief.

5 Likes