Cybertruck to be officially delivered today

Even up close?

11 Likes

I hadn’t seen that! A friend got a Tesla a bit before the Great Elongation began, and I must say the fit and finish was not what I expected. He got rid of it for a Hyundai.

6 Likes

Or as Tesla likes to call it, “Go Truck Yourself”.

11 Likes

And Ronald Reagan owned one.

6 Likes

Aww man, now you ruined them for me. :frowning:

8 Likes

No. And the truck will be emerging from a different orifice altogether.

4 Likes

but, the same article also points out that since that shape is dictated by the desire to build a car that somehow doesn’t have to meet a car’s standards, electric vehicles have more design flexibility.

7 Likes

You know, pattern languages. It’s like when you are young and read about Buckminster Fuller and go “yay domes for homes built in factories like cars and planes”. And then you encounter architecture and building and heat and noise and furniture and sealing and all those other things and you go “hooray for rectangles!”

22 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes

The wikipedia article makes it seem like Christopher Alexander would have called that a pattern phrasebook rather than a pattern language.

• A pattern* is a careful description of a perennial solution to a recurring problem within a building context, describing one of the configurations that brings life to a building. Each pattern describes a problem that occurs over and over again in our environment, and then describes the core solution to that problem, in such a way that you can use the solution a million times over, without ever doing it the same way twice."[3]

He was, of course, somewhat invested in making his scheme seem more profound than it might have been.

4 Likes

The book and those who swear by it give off a bang of cultiness to be honest but as an appreciation of vernacular architecture as design it is compelling.

7 Likes

I actually saw one in the wild a couple days ago near the Microsoft campus and can report- it was even more hideous IRL

3 Likes

And that pesky budget!

4 Likes

now?!?

5 Likes

why???

5 Likes

It’s weird looking and those bare panels are going to get scratched to hell but eh… ugly appeals to some people. See: pugs.

3 Likes

For a long while the press and popular culture went really hard on the idea that Elon Musk was some sort of tech genius because he happened to say words like “AI” and “Mars” a lot. It’s proven shockingly slow to dispel despite him spending the last year doing nothing but stepping on rakes. Some people really want the rich not to be useless morons. :man_shrugging:

16 Likes
11 Likes

Yeah, I saw that movie….

11 Likes

Apparently the production spec fitment isn’t quite as awful.

The design seems to be growing on some people and the guy who designed the DeLorean defended it. Of course, Musk said the design was influenced by another car that guy designed, the Lotus Esprit S1, so…

I don’t know. This seems like one of those eye of the beholder situations. Unfortunately, my opinion is super clouded by Musk being a jackass and his cult being so cringy so pretty much everything he does is tainted by my probably-not-psychologically-healthy desire to see him fail.

Edit: grammar

1 Like