Cybertruck to be officially delivered today

tenor-3095295328

tenor-3496261909

10 Likes

So glad to see the car from Moon Patrol finally made it to production.

12 Likes

Oh ho, I just saw this:

At that earlier event, Musk boasted, “It will be the biggest product launch of anything by far on Earth this year.”

It seems like it was an incredibly subdued affair, which Musk would have known beforehand… even his hype is all hype.

I’m impressed, though. Manufacturers don’t get wildly innovative because if they do, they potentially lose the ability to use existing parts and ways of producing the vehicle, even if the end result is an improvement over conventional vehicles. By throwing out existing wisdom and supply chains/manufacturing processes, they had an opportunity to make something better, but instead Elno crapped out this under-designed, poorly-thought-out abomination that’s worse in pretty much every respect. That level of incompetence is impressive.

Well, they know it now.

10 Likes

Reddit’s r/cybertruck community is comprised almost entirely of cybertruck fanboys who have paid to have a place in the line of cybertruck orders. I’m guessing it holds a large percentage of anyone who had planned on buying a cybertruck.

They are really disappointed by the launch event.

Price is $80k, and it’s significantly underspec’ed from what they had been led to believe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cybertruck/

If these are his hardest-core fans, who actually planned to drop $60-70k, I think Elon’s market is even tinier than I had figured it would be.

10 Likes

oh no, quite the opposite; thats actually a healthy reaction, rest assured.

8 Likes

i think most modern cars can withstand the occasional kick without much damage. cybertrux probably not so much.

i predict the combination of people who would purchase one of these, with the people they’ll piss off driving them… the shiny panels won’t last long

4 Likes

8 Likes

The decapitated head of the pedestrian maybe? It’s part of the trend for dangerously high front ends and poor front and peripheral vision which has been growing in recent years which Tesla, to be fair to them, hadn’t followed and are notable outliers on the roads (I’ve finally started to see them here in the last 2 years, still many more Hyundai electrics though, Leafs which had pretty much a monopoly until 2020 are falling off. As it were.) Add to the inability to see inconsequential things like pedestrians, wheelchair users, the occupants of prams, and cyclists, to the extremely and unnecessarily high bonnet (like what the fuck is in those things?) which kills people, the very high weight of electric vehicles, and the fact that this is exacerbated in this case by the choices in the design - the car is way bigger than it needs to be for any other purpose than being big - and the poor choice of material (top tip: because it’s such a poor material for fabrication of panels and the subsequent gaps it will be stainy steel) this machine’s design is homicidal.

So yay decapitated children is an aesthetic I suppose.

It’s a crime that auto manufacturers are allowed ignore safety regulations with WankPanzers. It has undermined decades of gradual improvement in road safety even while we maintained a car centric, streets are for car manufacturers to externalise their costs, not for people, paradigm.

This car is fugly in ways that make me furiously angry.

15 Likes

It takes up a third of the bed cargo space in order to get that maximum advertised range.

14 Likes

Why not an extension cord?

16 Likes

I’m surprised that he didn’t go for the towable battery pack.

14 Likes

And pretty soon we will see pictures of Cybertrucks with portable, ICE-based power generators in their beds. Charging the trucks as they trundle along.

13 Likes

I was scared by the talking monkey.

13 Likes

Here’s one interesting metric on Cybertruck deliveries:

8 Likes

“Tesla’s PS1-vector-styled memetruck is available to order now for $60,990 in its most basic form (though at that price it won’t be arriving until 2025 at the earliest and the optional extras include paint, floor mats and a ladder).”

I_can_barely_contain_myself_gif

https://archive.ph/8OzRR

7 Likes

Infinite captcha loop in firefox :-/ Works in Chrome though.

4 Likes

Pedantry warning: it’s either a “decapitated body” or a “disembodied head”, never a “decapitated head.”

IMG_0695

15 Likes

I can not find a clip, but there was a show back in the early 2000s, and one of the characters got an electric car and he’d show up and have to run in an electric cord to charge it up…

8 Likes

Then what do you call a head that lost its cap?

hatsteal-benrothwell

8 Likes

Bare.

6 Likes