DeSantis quits presidential race and starts sucking up to Trump

I feel bad for the 5 million non-maga people in Floriday. Suddenly, DeSantis can return to his job as governor and actively work to make life worse for them.

6 Likes

I’ve said it before, and I’ve gone from half serious to 75% serious, that all this bending the knee means nothing when Trump is just going to pick Ivanka for his running mate. That’s what he wanted to do the first time around, and it seems like the GOP at large is happy to let him do whatever crazy shit he wants, even moreso than they did last time.

Or Tiffany. Or just a random blond woman he sees at a campaign. His cognitive decline might be enough that he won’t be able to tell them apart anymore once the time comes.

4 Likes

Last I checked, Biden is not running for the GOP nomination.

I would prefer to do whatever I can right now to prevent another Trump presidency. But, you do you and just focus on Biden in November.

1 Like

Marge is glad DeSantis finally came to his senses.

Another reason to support Haley right now: it will burn more GOP $$$ that would otherwise be stockpiled for use against Biden in the general election.

4 Likes

absolutly.

no. he is not.

2 Likes

maybe i’m overly cynical, but i feel like the pockets are so deep it ultimately doesn’t matter much for them

if haley is still in the race when primary time happens here, i’ll try to figure out how to vote for her. anything that has a chance to stop ■■■■■ from getting into office again is a good thing.

she’d be a disaster, but she (probably) won’t be putting troops in the streets - which is something i seriously worry about with her republican rival

5 Likes

Who’s wringing their hands here? Not me. I’m saying focus on Biden. You seem to think Biden can’t beat Trump in November, so you want to get rid of Trump now. I’m actually quite confident Biden will beat Trump. Sure, I’d rather Trump not get the nomination and eliminate the possibility of him being President as early as possible, but what you are suggesting is wasted effort. Haley is not beating Trump. The only way she gets the nomination now is if Trump dies. Although I suspect if that happened now, DeSantis, Ramaswamy, Scott, and Christie would jump back in the race. Regardless, short of Trump dying, he’s got the GOP nomination. So I feel like what you’re suggesting is a pointless waste of time and effort. Also, again, I don’t like the shenanigans aspect of it. Biden has actually done a pretty damn good job so far, with the exception of being too pro-Israel in that conflict, but I don’t think anyone else would have acted any differently. So I’d rather see people using their energy and resources to educate people that Biden has been kinda killing it, because it seems like even most Democratic voters think he’s been a weak President. Again, I want our efforts focused on Biden, not the GOP.

11 Likes

The Boys Smile GIF by Amazon Prime Video

8 Likes

I’m not sure that they really exist anymore… they’re saying that now, but will they be saying that when Trump sends his hardcore supporters after them?

Also, not vocally and financially supporting him means running the risk of violence and death threats…

How about don’t do that?

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

11 Likes

I guess I shouldn’t have read that while eating dinner.
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

6 Likes

I think Biden will probably beat Trump, too. He did in 2020. But I am feeling suitably chastened after what happened in 2016, and am not willing to just put blind faith in the Biden campaign strategists, not worry about another October Surprise a la Comey, and ignore the general self destructiveness of the American electorate to not somehow give us another Trump presidency.

Anything I can do now to prevent that seems like a good thing. I urge other Americans who feel similarly to take action now to put the two major party candidates that are the best for the country forward in the general election.

5 Likes

Just a side note…I’m sure we’ll never get an accounting of the millions of dollars DeSantis spent of Florida taxpayer money on this election run, especially since he did a ton of campaigning “unofficially” including multiple international trips, while he waited for his completely beholden minions to change Florida law to allow him to run. Which of course they will now change back.

7 Likes

I don’t know, he spends weeks calling him names and now this…

“I’d like to take time to congratulate Ron DeSantis, a really terrific person … for having run a great campaign for president,”

“And I also look forward to working with Ron"

If I’m DeSantis I tell him to f**k off.

But that’s not how any of them work.

6 Likes

A completely correct and accurate description.

By which I mean: he terrifies me.

7 Likes

The election is months away. Anything can still happen; someone gets ill, another war, a major gaff while speaking, economy does something, oil prices, someone slips on the stage, MAGA protesters crosses another line that average people feel repulsed by, some social media post goes viral.

With months left, anything can still happen.

1 Like

A lot has changed here since the Doctorow/Jardin/Niven days.

4 Likes

I saw some clever wag on Bluesky (might have been a snapshot from Twitter?) suggest that DeSantis should be forced to take his campaign to term.

6 Likes

Maybe it was here.

6 Likes

That’s not where I saw it, but I’m not surprised I wasn’t first to mention it here — it’s a great, pithy line!

4 Likes