Dickhead's anti-yoga-pants letter to the editor sparks yoga-pants-parade

That looks great! If my hair ever gets around to going full gray (it’s taking its time) I may stop coloring my hair.

4 Likes

Mine is already unruly so I have years of practice at my hair not doing a damn thing I want it to. :wink: But I wanna look like you when I grow up!

That was immediately after the cut. Then I went out into the wind and rain and now it is much poofier.

14 Likes

Touché. I’ll amend my referential indignation:

I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear my yoga pants and fuck you.

6 Likes

I’ve been considering dying my hair, or at least getting bright color streaks, if only temporary versions. The Splat hair color line has been tempting me, but I think I want to first talk to someone who’s tried the specific products I want to try. Or maybe I should just jump in and do it.

So this is me last Saturday. I was trying on some new clothes and one of my sweeties wanted a picture, so I did a rush makeup job and let them.

The scarf and top are new, although I’ve had the skirt for a while. (I’ve had the hair at that length for most of 24 years now.) One of my cis-female sweeties is already wearing purple and a red hat, and I’m pretty close to that myself now.

12 Likes

…browses…

Oh I LIKE the deep emerald colour they have. Want.

3 Likes

The sweetie that took that picture has a strong love for any shade of green. I may have to try something with that myself! (Good general rule, if it makes them happy, it makes me happy too!)

4 Likes

With hair like yours, I’d be a bit worried about experimenting on all of it all at once. I can always buzzcut mine back and not notice, but you got good hair, so maybe a couple of streaks would look good and be a risk-free way of trying it out?

4 Likes

FTFY

:wink:

14 Likes

It’s not too late

6 Likes

I have extremely thick and fairly long hair that I have been dying various shades of purple for many a year. I do bleach first but I keep it to a minimum to avoid damage. I only bleach my roots a couple times a year when they stop looking blended when I dye. I wish I had learned earlier than I did that many colors can and should be cut with conditioner before applying. If the hairs bleeds too much then the pigment is stronger than necessary and should be thinned out with conditioner.

HairCrazy is a good resource for pics of different products on different people and advice.

6 Likes

I just had that same conversation with someone offline about two days ago, although most of her hair was already at the buzzcut level (top about three inches, sized buzzcut plus two weeks). OK, if I do color, instead of just jumping in, I’ll start with streaks or just some highlighting to see how it goes.

The other alternative, being Splat’s extensions. I got to talk with a student who had a few of those and she really praised them, and not just because she works at a store that carries them! The downside being they only have pink and purple. (Nothing wrong with pink or purple, but I would like other colors.)

I’ve added the site to my resources, thank you!

2 Likes

I use splat, and I also use manic panic, fudge, and pretty much any other bright colour pink semi-permanent I come across and salon supply bleach. (My current fave is from freaking Dollarama at $2 a tube its probably going to give me hair cancer or something but its worth it!)

Splat is good, the bleach will lift your hair to white if you leave it in long enough, but its close to 40Vol peroxide so it BURNS and its runny, very thin and liquidy, so you have to be very careful how you use it or else it runs every damn where.

I do half my bangs, the under-back of my head and the ends of my hair, bleach to white, then next day colour. I really do advise waiting a day in between to let your scalp recover. If you’re not doing your scalp you should be ok, but you do want to dry your hair in between, bleach and colouring. Which means using a little bit of conditioner cuz your hair will feel like straw after the bleach.

The splat colour is intense, very very bright and pigment heavy. (Manic Panic is not as intense and washes out faster, so really it depends on the effect you want.) Splat colour lasts a long time. I leave it in for about an hour before washing it out, and it lasts 6-8 weeks, depending on how often I wash it.

7 Likes

I love that scarf. Is it actually patterned blue and black, or is that an artifact of the photo/lighting?

2 Likes

“Yoga Pants” - a label used to convince yourself that you’re not wearing pajamas in public.

3 Likes

12 Likes

It actually is a kind of blue and black pattern, although it’s kind of subtle. It was a $5 semi-impulse item at Walgreen’s, and part of my concerted effort to purchase clothing and/or accessories that aren’t just black.(OK, so I do live up a few stereotypes. I’m just somewhat amazed that all of my clothes don’t have penguins or SciFi logos on them somewhere.)

5 Likes

Not gonna lie, I have wanted those for years. I keep asking for Christmas and everyone thinks I’m kidding.

2 Likes

If they came in black I’d get them in an instant. That deep blue tho… no way.

2 Likes

These are exactly my thought on this product.

1 Like

I always wanted a good chrome hair dye, but never found it. Maybe a mylar dip could be made. But my head is shaven these days anyway.

4 Likes