Do you like crunchy or creamy peanut butter? Your answer explains a bit about you, study says

Tangy aged butter + peanut butter is pretty great.

But I like strong flavors.

4 Likes

I love crunchy and I’m far from being an extrovert. And my choice in crunchy is because I love texture with my food

9 Likes

I’m not a fan of it by itself, but let some vanilla ice cream soften, then mix in the apple butter and some caramel, pour it into a graham cracker crust and re-freeze, and you are in for a treat! Top with chopped toffee (like Heath bars) for an extra treat. One of our autumn pot-luck treats, back when we had potlucks…

11 Likes

The bits in crunchy make it much harder to spread thinly.
Crunchy is better then, fight me!

6 Likes

One of the Beatles’ oft overlooked classics.

11 Likes

butter and peanut butter is one of my guilty pleasures. it’s a sweet + salt thing.

6 Likes

Ah… so, is this ‘peanut butter’ that you speak of a sweetened item? :nauseated_face:

PB&J now making more sense from a US perspective I guess.

actually, i think in the combination with butter it’s the saltier one. butter in the US is usually sweeter, and even the salted kind is apparently less salty than european butter.

4 Likes

Can someone explain what these numbers mean? I don’t get this at all

Both those numbers are less than 50%…

and then when they make a direct comparison the difference is negligible. whoa, 63 to 56, crazy man.

5 Likes

Interesting. Butter being sweeter is even stranger to me, default over here (UK) is slightly salted, with unsalted being available (usually for baking).

2 Likes

Also in school cafeteria lunch menus in the olden days before peanut allergies affected a lot of kids. It was an option in my schools three days per week.

8 Likes

Oh the kids were affected. It’s just, if you were 11 years old and had anaphylaxis in the 1950s, your father called you a pussy and told you to man up and stop embarassing him.

5 Likes
  1. I love that this story garnered more responses than many other weirder/more newsworthy stories.
  2. I love that so many people have such strong feelings about this topic.
  3. Smooth peanut butter is for perverts and the weak of mind.
  4. The correct “jelly” in PB&J is strawberry jam - with chunks of strawberry fruit, mind you.
  5. The bread must be buttered liberally with salted butter prior to applying the P and the J.
3 Likes

This introverted night-owl also likes crunchy peanut butter.
But I prefer cashew butter.
I bet pecan butter would be pretty good. Never seen it in stores, though.

6 Likes

Sugar in peanut butter is an abomination. Peanut butter should only contain peanuts. And maybe some salt.

6 Likes

Same here. A toasted english muffin with butter and peanut butter has been both a guilty pleasure and a staple during times when I couldn’t afford much. It’ll get you through most of a day, and it’s yummy!

ETA - ooh, also, a pita with PB, honey and raisins. Mmmmmm. Bananas, too, if you’re feeling swanky.

7 Likes

That sounds like a point that fits this topic.

3 Likes

I read this and also marence’s post:

I thought you both were suggesting taking one slice of bread and putting peanut butter on both sides of one slice. Then taking a different slice of bread. Putting jam on one side of that. Then somehow folding the peanut butter covered bread inside the jam covered bread. It seemed like an advanced topology problem.

I had heard people recommending making a grill cheese sandwich by putting mayonnaise on the outer, frying-pan contacting sides and thought this was a similar suggestion.

I finally figured out you both recommend taking two slices of bread, buttering one side of each with peanut butter. Putting jam on top of the peanut butter of one slice. This stops the jam from soaking into either slice of bread.

Having misunderstood, I thought marence was nuts. Then after reading your post, I had to start thinking I was nuts. But I am not nuts, just slow. That sounds like a good technique. Both of your suggestions were clearly written. I was too thick to understand

I like crunchy, as long as I know it is crunchy. If I bite into a crunchy sandwich expecting smooth, there’s a second of trepidation after the first crunch until I check the label on the jar. If there’s a crunch and the label says “smooth” then I know there’s been trouble.

9 Likes

Smooth with Apple Jelly
Crunch with Grape Jelly
Smooth on crackers
Crunchy on finger
Either in a fluffernutter

sadly, my favorite is Bama peanut butter, which is not stocked in my town.

2 Likes

I’m apparently the crunchy type but I have always bought creamy. Don’t care either way.

But grape over strawberry!? Blasphemy.

5 Likes