Elections 2018

in my county during the 2016 election, there were 9800 early votes cast.

in this off-year election there were 8800.

in 2014 there were 1700 early votes cast.

i’m impressed.

5 Likes

They knew this was coming, damn it

2 Likes

In the words of Earth Wind and Fire:

Keep your head to the sky…

4 Likes

Spokane County has been running above the last three presidential elections in terms of ballot return, basically from the day ballots started coming in. As of yesterday, over half of the ballots mailed out had already come back.

5 Likes

If Kemp wins the governor race in GA, we may have to pass that around some more. This page has stats on that race:

Anyone have a good recommendation for live updates from the overall midterms?

2 Likes

I have my fingers crossed for you all in Georgia.

5 Likes

I’m using this

3 Likes

“It turns out his voting card was invalid,” a reporter with Atlanta’s WSB-TV revealed in a video report on Kemp’s issues voting at his polling place in Winterville, Georgia.

10 Likes

That is too rich. Karma is bitch.

2 Likes

That is the thinking that got Trump in the first place. But it was “Dear Voters”, and “there will be a candidate competing against Hillary Clinton for President”.

We can like this again, yes?

3 Likes

9 Likes

NC here, which is looking interesting.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed for your state as well.

4 Likes

According to FiveThirtyEight’s live coverage the Democrats’ odds of taking control of the House just dropped from 6-in-7 to 4-in-7, while the Republicans’ odds of keeping the Senate just went from 6-in-7 to 29-in-30. What the actual fuck, America? I don’t know if I can take another Election Night 2016.

57%20PM

ETA: And in the time it took to type that the Dems’ odds dropped to barely above 50-50. Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

28%20PM

7 Likes

I don’t like this roller coaster at all. I think a lot of the swing in 538’s model came from KY-6 flipping around from a Republican hold to a Democratic pickup and now back to a likely Republican hold, which impacts the modeling on a bunch of other races both closed and still in progress.

Nate is apparently also fiddling with it, which is not helping.

4 Likes

I am seeing my hopes for a real wave fading. Damn.

1 Like

You and me both.

9 Likes

BTW, just to clarify:

I am actually a supporter of independent courts, free media (1), secular government, etc.

But it is very obvious that in the USA:

• The “free” media is overwhelmingly dominated by corrupt corporate interests

• The influence of theocracy is stronger than in any other advanced democracy

• The courts are blatantly racist and classist, and the judiciary is highly politicised

Some of this is recent degradation, but most of it is structural and long term. It is built in to the American institutions under discussion, to a degree that renders incremental reform impractical.

(1) With limits; hate speech controlled, excessive concentration of media power prohibited, etc.

2 Likes

Given the demographic makeup of the people being re-enfranchised by this amendment, and the current margins separating the Democratic and Republican candidates for Senate and Governor, I feel safe in saying that those races would not be leaning Republican tonight if those people had been allowed to vote this year.

10 Likes