Elections 2021 and 2022

Opposed by all 212 Republicans. Shocked / not-shocked

7 Likes

This writer thinks that could be good news for Dems.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen much discussion yet of the California Governor recall effort, but we’d all better start paying attention because it could affect everyone in the US, not just Californians.

Here’s the gist of it for those not up to speed:

1. There’s a recall election, mostly being conducted by mail-in ballots now thru Sept 14, where Governor Newsom could be recalled if more than 50% of voters choose “yes” on the first ballot question. Right now polling is within the margin of error.
  2. If question 1 gets more than 50%, then the new governor will be whoever gets the most votes on question 2. The winner doesn’t need to have a majority, or even anything close to a majority, just the most votes. Right now, polling at about 19%, the leader among the 46 candidates is right-wing talk radio host Larry Elder, a truly odious person for a host of reasons.
  3. Did I mention that the new governor would GET TO PICK THE REPLACEMENT SENATOR if 88-year-old Dianne Feinstein dies or retires for health reasons?
7 Likes

The news Monday that former NFL star Herschel Walker has registered to vote in Georgia is terrible news for Senate Republicans hoping to retake the majority next November.

I assume the CNN writer miss-typed? It is not at all clear [to me at least] how a NFL star registering “to vote” could sway the results (by more than 1 vote, I know ‘every vote counts’, but geez…) Unless, for some reason, his voter registration somehow is expected to inspire thousands of others to vote who would not normally do so?

Just click over and read at least some of the article. Your question will be answered in less time than it took you to type that comment.

6 Likes

More voting restrictions in Texas:

6 Likes
7 Likes

MTG is being challenged by a local Republican:

She only seems better in that she’s not a vocal authoritarian… Here is her campaign page…

https://strahanforcongress.com/

It’s pretty information free with regards to her policies, other than opposing MTG and accusing Biden and Pelosi of destroying America…

And this is a huge problem:

One of the democratic members of the board (Khadija Abdur Rahman opposed her appointment specifically because she felt it would give the state a bigger pretext for taking over the election board in Fulton, which they were going to do anyway.

7 Likes
8 Likes

This voter suppression attempt was blocked - for now:

6 Likes
6 Likes

Fetterman is at them again. I love this guy!

9 Likes

GIF by MOODMAN

8 Likes

Donald Glover Yes GIF

11 Likes

6 Likes
8 Likes

Per this analysis on Fivethirtyeight, the Texas GOP seemed to draw the map with a priority to make most of their districts super safe for incumbents, but are unlikely to gain many additional seats. I think they see the writing on the wall with the demographic changes and want to make sure they’ve got a good chance of keeping their jobs for the next ten years.

The whole idea of letting legislators draw their own districts is such BS. Schwarzenegger was definitely not one of California’s best Governors but I did appreciate that he managed to gather enough public support for a state proposition to have our districts drawn by a nonpartisan citizens commission. Prior to that the process had been abused by both parties, often working together in this state so that all the incumbents were safe in their jobs. Back in 2004 every single incumbent legislator on both sides kept their seat, which is not a sign of a competitive system.

5 Likes

It still directly impacts the electoral power of Black and Latinx voters…

Not a single one of the laws passed during the Jim Crow era that effectively disenfranchised Black voters invoked race, because they could not due to the 15th amendment. It’s not just politicians wanting to “save their jobs”. It’s Republicans seeking to disenfranchise minority voters, who make up a significant Democratic voting bloc.

Yes. And that’s part of why the GOP is blocking voter reform, because they would be out on their asses since they’ve doubled down on white supremacy.

10 Likes

I wasn’t disagreeing with you. They definitely see disenfranchisement as their best best to keeping their jobs.

3 Likes

But the disenfranchisement is also the goal in and of itself. They really do want to have only white men making the decisions in America and the rest of us should be quiet and do whatever we’re told. They’re all operating under the belief that the “great replacement theory” is real and will mean they become second class citizens.

5 Likes