Elections 2021 and 2022

The undercount COULD be of non-white, non-native born or non-citizen populations in those states, as there was a targeted attempt to do so. It makes the states look whiter and more republican and allows for redistributing that cuts the power of non-white votes. We know that Trump attempt to target non-native born people (citizens and non) by adding the citizenship question.

Yes… I know.

4 Likes

A district’s proportional representation, not a state’s. The thing corruption wants to know most from a census is not an accurate count of how many but where the population density is. If Texas can show the cities are shrinking compared to the suburban areas they weight the congressional districts in gerrymandered shapes to include a “fair” proportion of those republicans. The census provides the population heat map used for gerrymandering, so being able to skew the heat map is powerful.

2 Likes

Yes, but wasn’t that an attempt to strip power from blue states that had proportionally higher immigrant populations? It apparently didn’t work in blue states though.

So you may be right that an intentionally skewed census could provide more opportunities for gerrymandering, but giving up a seat in Congress is a very big price to pay for that opportunity. Texas and Florida both likely lost a seat due to their undercounts.

It might be part of a brilliant master plan but I don’t give Trump or the GOP that kind of credit. Seems more like ineptitude to me.

Edit: Out of morbid curiosity I put on incognito browsing mode and took a peek at what National Review is saying about it today. Here’s an excerpt of an article titled “The 2020 Census Screwed Republicans”:

1 Like

The value of Trump’s endorsement needs another look.

8 Likes

Did they finally decide on the Oz-McCormick race? Or is that going to be a run off?

But he’s not doing as well as he thought he would, is he? I suspect that his other choice for Senate might win in the primary, but I don’t think he’ll do well in the general.

6 Likes

Still counting the mail in vote. Lay I saw - about 1,200 in Oz’s favor.

It’ll definitely be a required recount.

6 Likes

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

5 Likes

Best case scenario: Trump’s endorsement of GOP primary challenger Purdue fails but hurts incumbent governor Brian Kemp enough for Stacy Abrams to win the general election.

I love how Trump is so focused on hurting those Republicans who “betrayed” him that he hasn’t given any thought to how his attacks will help Democrats.

14 Likes

Some people are third level thinkers. Trump is level negative 2.

11 Likes

It very well could, especially if it goes to a run-off but it probably won’t, because he’s doing abysmally.

He doesn’t have to, though, as his hardcore would never vote for Democrats.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

5 Likes

I don’t think that Trump’s continued attacks on Kemp will convince his base to vote for the Democrats but it sure as heck isn’t going to encourage Republicans to show up to vote for Kemp either.

As Stacy Abrams has already demonstrated when she helped the Democrats take back the Senate, Georgia is a purple state where voter turnout makes a huge difference.

12 Likes

True… part of why the GOP lost both senate races was that Trump kept up the “stolen” rhetoric (which led to people not coming out), and he alienated the more moderate wing of the GOP in the state.

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

Stacey Abrams Democrat GIF by GIPHY News

9 Likes

“Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the conservative activist and wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, pressed Arizona lawmakers after the 2020 election to set aside Joe Biden’s popular-vote victory and choose “a clean slate of Electors,” according to emails obtained by The Washington Post.“

Lock her up!

12 Likes

Let’s hope…

Get Ready Warnock GIF by Election 2020

11 Likes

But really. Yes. Please.

7 Likes

Voter suppression in action…

9 Likes

Is he looking to run as a thread party candidate in his district in November… cause if he did, and then Democratic candidate won… well.

11 Likes

Well, then,

Happy Mood GIF by HBO Max

5 Likes

Also, by thread I meant third…

6 Likes

It’s still five months out, but damn…

2 Likes