Elections 2023 and 2024 (Part 2)

Vote is in! First time there was a line to vote on the 2nd day of early voting since we moved here 6 years ago. Lots of electioneering over some hyper local issues outside the zone.

16 Likes

Sorry about the link.

The quote about sewage, then why is she voting for trump.

It would have been great if he was trying to feed his family making fries while customers yell at him for not enough salt or too much salt while his 20 year old manager berates him for taking too long, using the wrong size bag, and putting one to many ketchups in the bag, while changing his hours a day before so he canā€™t get to his second job or miss his Tuesday night class at the community college.

Yeah, he can relate.

ā€œMr. President, please donā€™t let the U.S. become Brazil, my native Brazil, please,ā€ Andrejczyk pleaded.

ā€œWeā€™re gonna make it better than ever, ok?ā€ Trump said, shaking her hand while continuing to greet the crowd through the drive-thru window.

The Pennsylvania resident, who moved to the U.S. from Brazil 26 years ago, was asked about the remark in an interview on ā€œThe Storyā€ Monday.

ā€œI am very grateful for this country. I love this country,ā€ she continued. ā€œAnd I donā€™t want to see this country become the corrupt sewage that Brazil is at this moment, where politicians do whatever they want with no accountability to the people.ā€

ā€œI canā€™t believe I shook Donald Trumpā€™s hand,ā€ she said. ā€œIā€™m not going to wash my hands for the next couple of days. He was very genuine. Heā€™s a genuine man.ā€

13 Likes

The horror.

Also, asking this guy to prevent US to become Brazil, the irony is lost on these people.

9 Likes

IMG_2524

15 Likes

Robert Reich, asking the essential question of our time:

tl;dr =

ETA:

Absolutely with you and I canā€™t believe it either.

26 Likes
18 Likes

The simplest answer is, it isnā€™t.

Between the rightward bias of polling that systemically targets the elderly and credulous and a media environment that is pushing the horse race narrative to either bolster T**** for corporate interests or just to drive more eyeballs to their service, Iā€™d say this is the election with the greatest difference between perception and reality.

21 Likes

Thatā€™s entirel possible, probably even likely!

At the same time, I fret about sexism, and racism, and how all too many Americans seem to have the memory of a memetic goldfishā€¦

Oh, well! There seems to be plenty of early voters, and thatā€™s always a good thing.

15 Likes

Two things can be simultaneously true; that the corporate media benefits from and facilitates the ā€œhorse raceā€ narrative and that the race is uncomfortably close.

Remember, in 2016 the media was criticized for understating how close the race was, which is why TFGā€™s victory took so many by surprise.

14 Likes

Except they didnā€™t understate it. The 2016 race shifted 20 points over a weekend.

14 Likes

Polling then and now has been murky at best. We really wonā€™t know how close the race is until itā€™s over, and in the meantime thereā€™s no advantage in getting overconfident. Fight for every vote.

16 Likes

The 2016 race shifted 20 points over a weekend.

Ah right! I thinkā€¦ My goldfish memory is trying to remember whyā€¦ James Comey, maybe? Buttery emails again? :thinking:

15 Likes

Thereā€™s just as much danger in despair. Maybe more.

10 Likes

ā€œDespairā€ would be ā€œwe canā€™t win.ā€ Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m saying at all. Iā€™m saying we canā€™t afford to act like weā€™ve already won.

8 Likes

I know a LOT of people who despair that this race is even close. It shouldnā€™t be. So maybe it isnā€™t?

12 Likes

I do think that there is gaming of the polls going on as well, probably from some partisan pollsters, but also from people who end up getting polled.

12 Likes

We know the polls are wrong. We just wonā€™t definitively know how wrong or in which direction until all the votes are counted.

6 Likes

When polls were showing Minnesota, which hasnā€™t voted Republican since 1972, as even, we certainly know in which direction the polls are biased.

16 Likes

Trump keeps using Polymarket as evidence heā€™s winning.

I googled, weird whatā€™s going on in that world but also meaningless, I think.

11 Likes
15 Likes