Elections 2023 and 2024

Reassuring Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

6 Likes

President Biden’s decision to end his reelection bid means Democrats must now quickly find a new candidate. The Democratic National Convention’s rules committee has called a Wednesday meeting to discuss the process for picking a new nominee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2024/07/22/dnc-convention-2024-chicago-harris-biden/

8 Likes

More than 1,000 delegates have told AP or announced that they plan to support Harris at the convention, which is more than half of the delegates needed to win the nomination vote, according to an Associated Press survey.

Live updates: Harris breaks donation record, claims most of delegates needed | AP News

12 Likes
12 Likes

Creole Ferret would be a pretty good band name, though

12 Likes

This dipshit is going to try and rush in to get the nomination, isn’t he… :roll_eyes:

[ETA]

12 Likes

We? Mikey- you’re a Republican!

11 Likes

[ETA]

5 Likes

Himself, or someone to make things safe for fragile billionaires.

I think the rich “speak to the manager” donor types underestimated how fast everyone else would want to unify behind the obvious choice to stop Trump. I guess they forgot that non-rich people might be or know someone who would be on MAGA’s Nacht und Nebel list.

8 Likes

And we need to remember this - exactly who triggered this silent coup.

Biden’s now made statements to that effect - that it was pressure from wealthy donors (and their pet Hill politicians) that caused him to drop out of the race. That he felt betrayed.

I think a 50% top marginal tax rate, with a $1M cutoff for the current cap on the capital gains tax rate, and counting it as regular income above that, would be a good start. We can get back to Eisenhower administration (94% top marginal income tax rate) later.

Oh, and overturn Citizen’s United to make maximum individual and corporate donation limits nice and low, so these donors can never wield this kind of power again. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

20 Likes

Now we can set aside any open primary concerns. Let’s fucking do this.

16 Likes

14 Likes

i just realized. the most obvious harris vp pick is none other than joseph robinette biden jr. talk about experience? i mean, come on. plus, everyone knows them already, and knows they’re qualified for the job.

( /s? )

10 Likes

In non presidential news:

15 Likes

… Jimmy Carter is eligible for another term :thinking:

13 Likes

I’m still super pissed off that he’s being given the opportunity for a semi-dignified resignation rather than getting expelled.

7 Likes

Me, too, though it is a soothing balm, that he’s probably going to prison.

5 Likes

Creole Ferret is the name of my new punk zydeco band.

13 Likes

Excited Season 7 GIF by The Office

10 Likes

I saw this yesterday on Discord.

12 Likes