Elections 2023 and 2024

Found in a couple of other threads, too…

And not about the election specifically…

6 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/24/us/politics/donald-trump-nephew-book-fred-trump.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

12 Likes

And those of us keeping our Trump is a nazi bingocard, time to mark off killing the disabled… :rage:

17 Likes

Aparently thegrio.com is geoblocking anyone not in the US. No idea why, but it’s terribly annoying. Thanks for the archive link!

12 Likes
16 Likes
13 Likes

Jamelle Bouie and the resulting discussion articulates something interesting on the limits of primary system itself. Does the hyper-focus on slivers of population in early primary states actually result in anything more valuable than a convention system?

That doesn’t seem like a particularly coherent argument. The current system being flawed and not fully democratic is a problem, but removing people’s ability to have a say on the candidate and relying more on the opinion of elite donors and insiders isn’t a solution.

The whole thing reads like a post-hoc rationalisation of the current situation, which isn’t helpful. We are where we are, and should focus on the future.

9 Likes

That’s exactly how I read it as well, I just think it raises some interesting thoughts on the shortcomings of the primary system.

1 Like

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

The X Files Sigh GIF

8 Likes

[post Biden speech tonight] That was so moving. So selflessly beautiful [sniff]. So much pride in that man. He epitomizes the essential discriminating characteristic of a modern democracy: willingly transferring power. In exactly the way that trump doesn’t. -sigh-

13 Likes

Everything about it was perfect.

“I revere this office. But I love my country more”

A lot of people could learn from a man like this who doesn’t foster or accept a cult of personality. No whining, no blaming, just a decent public servant doing the right thing for his country.

9 Likes
13 Likes

13 Likes

that’s why several states are trying to move away from it. not necessarily because of any particular problems regarding conventions - but simply to open the door for more voters to get involved.

surprise surprise one particular party seems to be against letting more people have their say

13 Likes
7 Likes

Looks like Mark Kelly really wants to be VP:

If that happens I hope that it doesn’t lead to flipping his seat in the Senate.

7 Likes

Not sure a macho flex like that is what Harris is looking for. She’s strong enough on her own already, no?

Also makes him seem a bit desperate, making an ad for himself. :confused:

10 Likes

Conservatives are losing their shit, howling to “cancel” Netflix now. I am laughing.

17 Likes

Still, file it away for “tax the rich” time…

12 Likes