Elections 2023 and 2024

My days of considering DJT a racist shitbag are coming rapidly to a middle.

21 Likes

I think most of us predicted that Trump’s decision to address the National Association of Black Journalists today would go badly but I admit I didn’t have “she’s only pretending to be Black!” on my bingo card.

19 Likes

For Republicans, identity is just a scam to get some undeserved benefit or advantage.

Unless the identity in question is whiteness or Christianity, of course.

10 Likes

He’s an idiot. When Harris ran for statewide offices in CA, the media constantly referred to her as a Black woman candidate. It wasn’t until she ran for president that I first heard about her mom and her South Asian heritage.

14 Likes

It’s just another racist dogwhistle. A friend described the loneliness of being a Black person with relatively pale complexion in America. You’re too Black to benefit from whiteness but you’re too pale to be embraced as really Black by some people in the community. :sob:

13 Likes

Mrs. Beau again!

10 Likes
14 Likes

Is Beau out with Covid?

6 Likes

He’s stepping away, apparently
 @Melizmatic posted it in another thread

13 Likes

Yep; looks like he’s gotten burnt out and his wife/friends/colleagues will take over the channel.

As a more “fair complexioned” Black person, I can confirm; I could never “pass” as White, but growing up I still caught hell from self hating Black folks who were negatively impacted by colorism.

19 Likes
14 Likes

Here’s the full video, if anyone’s interested:

13 Likes

Interesting data in here. Tl;dr is that Texas would flip blue today with higher voter turnout. They have the lowest voter turnout in the country.

25 Likes

I mean, that map is why I keep harping on a voting rights executive order. Simply removing the usual barriers to voting that states like Texas keep throwing against democracy completely changes the game. And while the GOP would scream bloody murder, what reasonable person can possibly object to more eligible and registered voters voting?

27 Likes

Dance Yes GIF by visitphilly

14 Likes

OMG, if Texas goes blue, they willl MELT THE FUCK DOWN
 so would all the “the south is shit and we should let the fascists have it” crowd

And you know, Beyonce is from Texas
 and what was the very first song the Harris campaign used?

25 Likes
12 Likes

What really stood out to me in that article was that in 2020, over 5 million registered voters in Texas didn’t vote, and that almost 5 million eligible voters didn’t even register. That’s 10 million people. I know getting all those people to vote is unrealistic, but the vote differential in Texas between Trump and Biden in 2020 was less than 700,000 votes. That state can absolutely be flipped.

22 Likes

Looks if they can get more than 1 million of those 10 million to vote, they likely will flip it

But yeah, the people thinking Texas can never be flipped were the same people saying the same about GA a few years back.

23 Likes

Automatic voter registration would sort that facet out. Eliminating voter suppression would kick in about 20-25% of that 10 million voters, or 2-2.5 million voters. Vote-by-mail could push that to 50%, or 5 million more votes.

That might not just flip Texas, but make it bluer than Oregon!

16 Likes