Elections 2023 and 2024

They’re definitely working to undermine election certifications.

But relying only on that - few events & no ground game - means they risk a convincing loss at the polls. Which will make the efforts to prevent certification that much harder.

It’s always better to win convincingly.

23 Likes
15 Likes

Here in America, we have a tradition of an “October Surprise.” My bet (a whole dollar) is on Trmp calling out his followers to block other voters from the polls, but in the past we’ve seen a whole lot of shenanigans at the last minute.

11 Likes

This may only be one example which is very frightening.

15 Likes

Bone Spurs is no Turd blossom.

From Rachel Maddow…

And from my great state…

So, as @KathyPartdeux said. Yes. That doesn’t mean it will work. They tried the courts last time, and failed. They’ve been unable to pack the courts since then. It is something to be concerned about, but it’s not by any means a sure bet for them. And if they try it again and fail… well… I’m guessing it’s far more likely that the courts come down hard on Trump.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

It also strikes me that if they do try these kinds of tricks, and do fail, if they lose the election, then they’re less likely to be able to try again and we’re MORE likely to see some meaningful reforms (me hopes!).

And that could very well backfire on them, too. Violence at the polls… not a good look.

the question will be, what will Rafensberger do in this case. He had a spine in 2020. Let’s hope he continues to have that spine this year.

20 Likes

Yeah, obviously nothing is certain until the election is over. But it’s looking pretty good to me, so far. I don’t think Biden and Harris have made any mistakes yet, and Walz is a very solid VP pick.

Meanwhile, Trump is not getting any more popular with anyone who isn’t already a member of the cult; Vance was and is an obvious mistake; and the GOP is playing right into Democrats’ hands by unhinged rants and general weirdo behavior.

It really looks like the Trump campaign, and the GOP in general, are off-balance and don’t know what to do. They clearly weren’t prepared for Biden to step aside and let Harris run, and it looks like they weren’t prepared for Walz to be the VP pick, either. Honestly, they seem just all around unready, not knowing what to do when the other side isn’t acting exactly like they’ve been hoping.

15 Likes

It’s almost like they had no idea that policy matters in politics, or caring about constituencies, or indeed that showing up to work on time every day is the bare minimum necessary.

22 Likes

This is deplorable. I remember when Democrats would circle the wagons to defend incumbents against hostile primary challenges and an ostensible bipartisan consensus against foreign election interference was common sense.

To be fair, her district was gerrymandered after her first win to include a lot of white suburban voters, so racist MO legislature had a role, too. She carried the vote in the city.

End Citizens United.

7 Likes

One upside to the Vance event: There was no line to use the ladies’ room. Sure, there were women in attendance, but the gender ratio felt like the guest list on Joe Rogan’s podcast. There was one kind of diversity in this small but weirdly intense crowd. Every type of white man that gets a hasty “swipe left” on his dating profile was in attendance: 'Roided out dudes with bad tribal tattoos. Older men radiating “bitter divorce” energy. Men with enormous beards that have never known the touch of a trimmer. Skinny fascists wearing expensive suits, despite the oppressive heat. Glowering loners staring at the two women under 40 like cats watching birds out a window.

29 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

23 Likes

Walz has honed “Minnesota nice” into a deadly rhetorical weapon, both making his desire to help people sincerely felt while also making “weird” burn like Dorothy Parker’s ghost had insulted you.

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

20 Likes

While I normally hate BuzzFeed clickbait listicles, this one gave me quite a few laughs.

22 Likes

So - how old is Walz really? And what are the different kinds of white guy?

13 Likes

He’s 60.

Harris is 59.

Black don’t crack.

22 Likes

Watching this rally from Wisconsin, Walz just stopped his speech because someone needed help in the crowd (overheating)…

You’d never see that in a Trump rally, the speaker showing ANY concern for the audience’s well-being.

25 Likes

ETA: Comment on his latest “rally”

16 Likes

It seems like every Trump rally has an attached story about people collapsing from the heat or freezing from the cold and needing medical attention. That’s often before they even get into the damn event. Never is there an ounce of concern from Trump or the event organizers — if anything it’s exploited to boast about how people were so dedicated that they were lining up and waiting for hours in dangerous conditions just to get in.

Story time: Mrs. Ficus and I were at a concert in the front row for a well-known band. One of her favorite songs began and she was visibly overcome with emotion. One of the band members was scanning the crowd, saw her, did a quick double take, and mouthed “are you ok?”, she nodded and flashed a :heart_hands:, then he mouthed back a “thank you”. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been to a ton of concerts in my lifetime, but that was an unforgettable moment that has really stuck with me.

The lesson here is that sometimes a small act of compassion or kindness can be a million times more powerful and enduring than any projection of strength.

28 Likes

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

16 Likes

But, there’s also this which is very scary.

16 Likes

Number 6 - it’s not casserole in Minnesota, it’s hot dish. :woman_facepalming:

18 Likes