Elections 2023 and 2024

21 Likes

There are people in the Portland suburbs who swear it’s true, that Portland is a burned-up shell with homeless people living everywhere and roving gangs of antifa. Nevermind that they can travel a few miles from home and see for themselves - Portland is a thriving, vibrant city - much less listen to people who actually go there from their own neighborhood.

20 Likes
12 Likes

I don’t know what reaction emoji I should use: :woman_facepalming:, :thinking: (they’re nuts vs they have the right to believe in Trump, I guess?)

Sigh. I wish we had a sigh emoji, something more than :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

12 Likes

I was hearing the same thing about Los Angeles, & then we traveled there three weeks ago. And it’s true, the crime was out of control, & I was killed! Now I’m dead. I’m dead!!

(One of those sentences is the truth. Also true: we dug it.)

15 Likes
11 Likes

15 Likes

In Minnesota, that’s pronounced “oof da”.

:wink:

13 Likes

Yet the description of Trump as dour is as incomplete

You have to use the Scots pronunciation of dour, where the u only hints of the deep gelatinous manky depths

14 Likes

I’d be happy if he populated Mars by just 1.

13 Likes

Trump’s mother was Scottish, and perhaps very dour.

As a parent, MacLeod was more reserved than her husband.

6 Likes

She wasn’t a citizen until 1942? How many anchor babies did she have before that?

15 Likes

Anyone married into that nest of vipers and ticks would be pretty damned dour. Melania pretty much defines the term, and her ethical status is pretty iffy as well.

13 Likes

So - is Trump German or Scottish? And when did he choose that?

19 Likes

I had to look that up! I don’t think that uff da ever made it over to my area of the upper west side. It wasn’t part of my vocab growing up, anyway. What I just read suggested it’s sort of a “oh for Pete’s sake” expression rather than “whoops, sorry”, though. Do you use them interchangeably?

7 Likes

I demand to see his long-form birth certificate!

14 Likes

Sorta? Is ope only used in place d’oh? Ope wasn’t a thing in MN when I was growing up, I don’t quite grok every situation in which it can be used. [I don’t think it’s a thing in SE MI, either, I never heard of the term before a few years ago from the interwebz.]

6 Likes

Hm. I tend to say ope in place of whoops and it usually precedes sorry. Or in place of ah well, preceding whatcha gonna do? So there’s some flexibility with it. It could definitely replace d’oh, too.

8 Likes

AIPAC can’t Citizens United everyone…

20 Likes