Elections 2023 and 2024

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
(Free link; not sure why it doesn’t onebox)

This oil tycoon brings in millions for Trump, and may set his agenda

Harold Hamm has become Trump’s point person in raising funds from oil industry donors and relaying to the ex-president what the industry wants.

https://wapo.st/3yLopUk

14 Likes

apparently they didn’t spend anything near like what they did in the other races. so yes, and also maybe no.

glad she won for sure.

13 Likes

Why are Republicans so weird about tampons? They’re just a hygiene product, no worse than toilet paper if you’re not fucking weird about it

Wait’ll they figure out their homes are LOADED with unisex bathrooms.

from

33 Likes

I am struggling with “forced” to have them in their bathrooms. No one is forcing them to use them. Hell, they are forced to have soap and water in there as well, and they certainly don’t use that! Boys are pretty gross, honestly.

25 Likes

And from what I understand, the law doesn’t force them to put it in the boy’s bathrooms, merely gives them to OPTION to do so… :woman_shrugging:

17 Likes

Ah, but “forced” sounds so much scarier, which is the whole point, after all.

19 Likes

Yep… also, projection. Because they want to force their preferred world on the rest of us and think that we’re trying to do the same. No, dipshits, we’re just trying to make the world suck less!!!

Like… come on, dudes!

23 Likes

They are also very handy for packing gunshot wounds…

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

23 Likes

Too true, but still…

weep bbc GIF

15 Likes

Apparently that’s a popular myth but any rationale for leaving them in place is fine with me.

ETA: I think pads might still make for a decent emergency bandage in a pinch though, at least if Better Call Saul can be believed.

11 Likes

Pretty sure they are all AI.

21 Likes

That article compares tampons to actual emergency medical kits that aren’t readily available but also assumes the use of one tampon instead of many.

I don’t think it’s practical for severe wounds but for arterial nicks that wouldn’t be life threatening in the presence of immediate emergency care but in the scenario of a school shooting like Uvalde, where care was delayed by hours, a tampon could be life or death.

I’ve personally seen tampons used in hospital settings as a standard intervention for arterial puncture in conjunction with compression. They work better than static compression alone for that purpose, because they expand as they absorb, creating a dynamic compression over time that an improvised compression device like a belt or tape cannot accomplish alone.

20 Likes

Nosebleeds?

10 Likes

Just staring at this chart today (published 8 August 2024)…

… because I wanted to get a feel for the electoral college parts of the showdown in the November.

While I’m at it, I just found out something new about a choice in Virginia:

Wow.

15 Likes

not tampons, but maxi pads were used in medical kits for tour de france racers, according to Bob “Bobke” Roll, former tdf racer and sportscaster.

in a talk he gave at the Seattle REI one year, long ago, i recall him saying that really severe cases of saddle sores were treated with appropriate salves, but to cushion the area, chunks of the rider’s saddle were cut away and the maxi pad adhered inside his shorts. claimed he was able to finish the race that way!
Bobke had the best bicycle racing stories!

edit: sorry to continue the derail by even further unrelated content. i just realized what topic this was. i will remember to remember.

12 Likes

Aren’t sanitary napkins also used for keeping sweat off of models under the hot lights during filming?

2 Likes

not sure about that, but i do know it is not election related.
in my commercial photography for advertising in print, i used tricks to make food more appealing, not models. (and tampons were used in various ways to give particular effects.)
'nuff said.

6 Likes

John Goodman Reaction GIF by moodman

15 Likes

So RFK Jr is willing to drop out and endorse either Harris or Trump in exchange for receiving a cabinet-level appointment in their administrations. Quite the principled guy, isn’t he?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/08/14/rfk-jr-kamala-harris-cabinet-trump/

Harris refused to meet and her campaign told him to go pound sand. Trump’s campaign is still in talks with him.

20 Likes

It’s pretty naive of the guy to assume either candidate wants his endorsement at this point.

12 Likes