Elections 2023 and 2024

Strictly in terms of the Pat’s vs Geno’s rivalry of decades (they’re across the street from each other).

1. Pat’s invented the cheesesteak. Or so goes the story.

2. Geno’s history of racist assholery. Trump stopped there.

If you’re looking for a Philly sandwich that’s neither - try John’s Roast Pork.

https://johnsroastpork.com/

17 Likes

I knew about #1. I didn’t know about #2. All I know is I went there 6 years ago when I was visiting law schools in the area (I checked out Penn and Drexel…Penn seemed like the place to go if you want to learn about stabbing people in the back, metaphorically…I wasn’t interested) and I think I took 2 bites. It was one of the worst sandwiches I’ve ever had. Not just the worst cheesesteak, but one of the worst sandwiches. It was awful. The bread was awful, the steak was awful, everything was awful. It’s just objectively bad food.

ETA: Also, I didn’t know who Amy Wax was at the time, but I definitely got the right read on Penn Law, and I’m so glad I didn’t go there. I’m not sure I could have gotten in anyway, but any law school that would hire her has issues.

11 Likes

There’s much better options than those two.

Or - if you want an upscale cheesesteak experience- Barclay Prime Steakhouse has a $140 cheesesteak!

15 Likes

Is that a friggin’ dorm room? Yeah, why does anyone listen to him? Because he hates the same people they do. And makes it OK for them to do so. At least, that’s my guess.

14 Likes

Are these people smelling the pungent stench of defeat and are starting to point their sticky fingers to scapegoats?

11 Likes

There’s been a longstanding tradition of Presidential and Vice Presidential hopefuls going around the country and eating every godawful greasy variety of local “cuisine” anyone shoves in front of their faces just to prove they are regular, relatable people. The apex being during Primary season when they have to eat a bunch of deep fried garbage at various state fairs. Even Pete Buttigieg did that gauntlet.

7 Likes

I know that. My question is…why Pat’s? And not just for candidates, but for anyone. When I went there, there was a line. If you Google “Cheesesteak Philadelphia” you’ll get a lot of recommendations for Pat’s. But it’s objectively awful tasting food.

7 Likes

At least Rochester is honest with the name of their local greasy spoon specialty.

7 Likes

Yeah, the bread was standout bad. Dry, flavorless, stale garbage. I’m partial to Tommy DiNic’s in Reading Station. I know it’s touristy, but it’s an easy walk from the convention center when you’ve only got a short window for lunch. Plus they have roast pork sandwiches that are amazing.

4 Likes

IMG_5470

18 Likes

"Is this a bird?" meme. Speaker: "Me". Butterfly: "JD Vance asking for swiss cheese at Pat's King of Steaks". Caption: "Is this performance art?"

6 Likes

Again, he didn’t ask for Swiss cheese. He asked why they didn’t use it.

3 Likes

Acknowledged. But generating memes is fun. (Also I heard he did the nasty with a couch.)

(More to the point I think his utter inability to connect with normal people on a base level is, itself, performance-art like. Yeah, I misrepresented it here as it’s been misrepresented elsewhere. But the real thing still manages to have that certain performance-art beauty to it.)

6 Likes

My regret now is not taking power naps to prepare for the event. I don’t think I’ve fallen asleep while sitting upright like that since grade school. :grimacing: After a few hours of catching up over coffee, I finally found this:

11 Likes

One of my Senators!

16 Likes

It wasn’t that long was it? Maybe 10-15 minutes? I’m watching Sen. Warnock’s right now, and I think his was longer?

Hmmm… is she just Gen X? I wonder how she identifies?

[ETA]

Here is President Biden’s speech, in case people missed it (like me)…

10 Likes

They’re both numerically into Jones.

5 Likes
15 Likes

She’s 59, right? Same age as me, and I think I get to choose “last of the Boomers” vs “proto_Gen X.” And I choose the latter. But she is much cooler than me. She can be what she wants to be!

9 Likes

I recently came to think of it as middle of the adult portion of you life: 20 years youth, 20-40 adult,m, 60-80 old age (80+ bonus years) and the middle age in between. I may be right or I may have retconned some bullshit.

7 Likes