Elections 2023 and 2024

Gregory Brothers still at it. This debate remix/recap is currently at the NY Times, in the list of opinion columns.

12 Likes

ETA:

26 Likes

Both Vance and Trump are traitorous scum, openly preferring America’s enemies to its allies, and wanting an outcome that weakens America and makes it less safe. Filth!

16 Likes

There’s no way this is Trump’s peace plan. Not a chance in hell he’d propose this.

He’d want Ukraine to cede more land.

10 Likes

One of the defining traits of modern Republicans is their complete inability to put themselves in the position of another person.

If a hostile power invaded the United States no self-styled “patriot” would cede an inch of territory. Yet Ukrainians are expected to give up a fifth of their country without a fight in the hopes that Putin won’t come back for the rest in another year or two? That makes Neville Chamberlain’s “Peace in our time!” deal look positively brilliant.

18 Likes

And that’s after Russia already occupied and effectively annexed the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine just 10 years ago.

15 Likes

I’m super suspicious of undecided voters. I think they know which way they’ll vote (based upon their own beliefs), so just saying that they’re undecided is really just them saying they’re uncommitted to publically telling us who for some strange reason.

Then yesterday I heard Matthew Dowd (former Republican strategist) saying something similar on MSNBC. His theory is that either the undecided knows exactly who they will vote for (but do not want to publically share that information for fear of shame or arguments), or they are simply not going to vote (but do not want to publically share that information for fear of shame or arguments).

24 Likes

:heavy_check_mark:

A few minutes in on this interview, one hears the interviewer ask Vance “would you have certified the election results [in 2020]?” four times and every. single. time. Vance dodges.

(58 seconds in)

Wow.

whereismypukeemoji.gif

ETA: so yeah, traitorous, both foreign and domestic… at least they are consistent.

13 Likes

I flipped on Fox for a few seconds, they’re concerned that voters who watched the debate wanted to hear policy from Harris but she didn’t deliver.

They didn’t seem to concerned that the other guy couldn’t string together any thoughts other than something about cats and dogs though. Where was his policy?

Weird.

16 Likes

They get a lot of attention for saying that they’re undecided. And get to backhand the candidate they don’t support.

13 Likes

Even if they were being genuine, they’re a weird little group that doesn’t matter much. Everything focusing on them is written with the implicit premise that the candidates need to suck up to the handful of people who don’t know which to vote for – well, at least the Democrats do – and that’s a “centrist” lie. Even a cursory glance at previous elections will tell you they need to appeal to people who don’t know if they’re going to vote. That’s a vastly bigger group but they won’t fit the NYT’s narrative so go ignored.

19 Likes
13 Likes

I think that’s pretty accurate, based on my experiences canvassing in local elections. Some people (especially older generations) are extremely private about politics, some want to be courted by both sides, and a lot don’t give a shit and aren’t going to vote anyway.

And of course some are truly undecided because they have fallen for the “both sides” narrative and lack critical thinking skills :woman_shrugging:

Mel Brooks Morons GIF

12 Likes

https://www.wsj.com/opinion/a-catastrophic-debate-for-trump-2024-presidential-election-d2e5aa7f

Friends,

I would not normally send you anything written by Karl Rove. I’ve always thought of Rove as the evil genius of the Republican Party. He worked for Richard Nixon and was senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to George W. Bush, where he became one of the architects of the Iraq War.

But the fact that Rove wrote the following piece in today’s Wall Street Journal reveals both what the Republican establishment thinks of Trump and the civil war now brewing inside the Republican Party. I thought you might find it as interesting as I did:

A Catastrophic Debate for Trump

…

16 Likes

He still walks the Earth?

16 Likes

Only the good die young

16 Likes

Shambles around. Lurching, I would guess.

14 Likes

The Addams Family Smile GIF

15 Likes

Nobody “made” Trump “look like” anything. He just exposed himself for who he is, while we all watched.

from

from

from

26 Likes

Absolutely right, and the NYT is far from the only media organization that’s obsessed with the ridiculously small and increasingly rare “undecideds” that supposedly will control the outcome of the election. I guess they think it’s more interesting to report on that tiny sliver of the electorate than it is to ask a bunch of lazy or nihilistic folks what it would take to finally motivate them to get their asses off the couch and show up to vote in possibly the most consequential election in our nation’s history.

6 Likes