Elections 2023 and 2024

Yeah it’s hard to see the current SCOTUS upholding this ruling, but one can hope.

6 Likes

:laughing:

4 Likes

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

4 Likes

Normally I’d be all in favor of stretching out the Republican primary fight in the hopes it would hurt Trump but it doesn’t seem to be impacting his support one whit anyway so good riddance to bad rubbish.

7 Likes

stop hitting yourself stephen colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

3 Likes
6 Likes

a christmas present?

doesn’t change state convictions, so i’m not sure exactly how much it matters…

11 Likes

It matters to those who get the pardon.

And, of course, state convictions aren’t for the president to pardon.

8 Likes

yeah, and i think that article mentions 11 people who have had their sentences commuted; which is great, but still a very small number. it doesn’t mention how many people might benefit from the pardons.

totally. my point is that i don’t know how wide an effect this might have because the vast majority of drug convictions are at the state level

( it does help set a sort of guideline or precedent for the states. that maybe seems like the biggest benefit )

6 Likes

Definitely this. The feds taking the lead will, hopefully, persuade some states to follow that haven’t already gone down this road. Very happy for all of those whose holidays were just made much brighter.

6 Likes

one hundred percent agreed.

( hmmm… one hundred present? :gift: :thinking: )

( oh and happy holidays y’all! )

7 Likes

I’m gonna guess it matters to the people and their families who DID get a pardon? :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

i agreed with the same above. and i agree that my initial post sounded overly cavalier. i had only meant regarding policy, but definitely: for the individual people, it could be huge depending on the state charges part.

( the first article i had found didn’t estimate, and only mentioned the 11 sentences commuted. which is still 11 people who are now better off. the one i posted above though says potentially thousands. if true, that’s truly awesome. )

8 Likes

And of course, I do agree that it’s not going far enough. The whole regime needs to be ended, as it’s not helped anyone. Changing the designation of pot would certainly help going forward, but states will be able to make their own laws about pot (as they have been doing), so some won’t legalize whatever the feds do. And of course, red states won’t offer this kind of amnesty, either, because the cruelty is the point…

it’s deeply frustrating that people can’t see the damage this is doing to our country…

13 Likes

https://archive.ph/hhnf9

Court rules it’s a political decision- not a legal one.

I guess that whole natural born citizen thing is out the window too.

Welcome, President Musk.

Seems like allowing a person who cannot legally be President on any official ballot would be a form of voter disenfranchisement since a reasonable voter might assume they were using their vote for a candidate who could actually win.

Issues of eligibility for Federal office should be settled at the Federal level, ideally before any of the voting starts.

2 Likes

Perhaps that should be the law. But it isn’t. And until it’s changed- it should be followed.

4 Likes

are primaries and caucuses even required? i’d imagine the party rules say so, but i imagine you could found a party with whatever rules you want

4 Likes
1 Like